No country for old men ending...?

aight, wat i thin kabout the ending is that the old man wakes up and lost all hope of finding the killer guy....my girlfrind thought it meant that he woke up and all that was a dream wat really happened?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

in his dream, he is riding with his father in olden times, it is cold and harsh. the world is cold and harsh. but his father carries hope in the form of fire, fire can keep you alive in the cold, provides comfort.

his father is going on ahead to prepare a better, comfortable and warm world for him. it is like the previous generation shapes the world we live in for their children, which is him. so he is dreaming that his father, who was also a lawman, helped build a safe and comfortable world for him from the harsh one that existed. it is a hopeful dream.

when he says he woke up, it means that it was just a dream, and in reality, the world he lives in is a disgusting and horrible, and violent place. when he says he woke up, it is haunting because for the whole film, he has seen how violence rules the world he lives in, not the world of his father or his world, but of chigurghs and moss, and the only time he can see a safe and comfortable world is in his dreams. that is why the last shot of him in the film, he looks so depressed, because he knows it is a not a world that he belongs in anymore.

his wife says he has lots of time to dream, he has just retired, which means that for the rest of his days he can dream of a better world, and he will never have to participate in the violence again. which means he is no longer a part of this world. thats why its called no country for old men, because it is not a country he can be a part of anymore

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Mexicans killed Llewelyn.

Chigurh recovered the money, killed the wife because he was keeping his word to Llewelyn. Gets off scott free.

Tommy Lee Jones retired, and is just recounting his dreams about his father. He dreamt his father was 'going on ahead' to make a fire and that he would be there waiting for him when he got there, meaning that he was passing the torch to the new generation.

The moral of the story is that throughout it, TLJ's character thinks that the world is getting more dangerous and more violent as time goes by, but he realizes in the end that its always been a violent chaotic world, not just in the 20th century.

• boyes
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The undesirable guy who's injured --broken arm and busted up, receives away. He paid one among the two young ones on the bicycles for his shirt and limps off -- i assume with the money hidden someplace he can retrieve it-- and Tommy Lee Jones retires. .

• 1 decade ago

Neither. Him waking up doesn't mean anything, just the symbolism of the dream. I didn't like it the first time, but the more I watched it, the more I appreciate all of the meanings.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Worked for me:

Baddest bad guy walked away injured but has the money hidden somewhere, good guy retires because he just can't cope with the evil in the world, but regrets his weakness, everybody else is dead.

• 1 decade ago

No, it wasnt all a dream.

The killer was never caught.

• 1 decade ago

you have to decide for yourself

anyone that says "it means this"

is just guessing.

Source(s): ,,^._.^,,
  • 1 decade ago

the killer guy was the sheriff's brother, in case you didnt know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.