people still think marijuana causes cancer?
drugs are bad. well what are you taking for your headache? this plant when grown correctly is not sprayed with pesticides like tobacco is, or with hormones to increase growth. it contains over 400 NATURAL chemicals, only a fraction of the tobacco industries some 2000 chemicals, many of which are man-made and contain RADIATION. Radiation cannot be caughed out and builds up as it has a longer decay rate. And use Common Sense HOW MANY CANNABIS ONLY SMOKERS HAVE DEVELOPED LUNG CANCER IN THE LAST 70 YEARS?(any other cancers?)
- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
Cancer and marijuana is one of those, the truth is in the middle type of things.
Yes there are carcinogenic chemicals in marijuana, just like there are cancer causing chemicals in pretty much everything we consume.
Cells become tumors when they are damaged and do not die. When you smoke anything the particles cause micro lesions in your airways. This directly leads to mucus and bronchial infections. So smoking anything damages cells, and can lead to infection, it's pretty obvious.
The key difference is that nicotine promotes damaged cells to live on, whereas THC programs cell death in the damaged cells.
"For example, lab research indicates that nicotine activates a body enzyme that converts certain chemicals in both tobacco and marijuana smoke into cancer-promoting form. In contrast, studies in mice suggest that THC blocks this enzyme activity."
The reason cigarettes cause cancer has nothing to do with the carcinogens in them, it has to do with the fact that nicotine sort of activates them allowing the damaged cells to live on...THC does not. Here's an analogy.
Smoking cigarettes is like having a bomb with a lit fuse, smoking ONLY marijuana is like having a bomb with no fuse.
If you smoke both cigs and joints, you greatly increase your cancer risk, if you smoke ONLY weed, you have as much of a chance of getting cancer from say eating ginsing.
- 1 decade ago
1. You seem to be making the naturalist fallacy, that everything that is "natural" cannot possibly be carcinogenic. Marijuana smoke, in a recent study, was found to contain 20 times more ammonia (a carcinogen), 5 times more hydrogen cyanide (which cause heart damage), as well as nitrous oxides (which cause lung damage). Also you're spouting "400 natural chemicals" like it's some kind of miracle - maybe you should try an introductory organic chemistry course? Even a simple apple contains literally hundreds of chemicals, and so does bird **** - ALL NATURAL!
2. Cigarettes "contain" radiation? This makes absolutely zero sense. Nothing can really "contain" radiation, and if you really meant that they somehow emit radiation, er, well, everything above absolute zero does. You do, the sun does, your computer does. Perhaps you meant they contain carcinogens, which cause cancer, just like some types of high energy radiation. And this sentence:
"Radiation cannot be caughed out and builds up as it has a longer decay rate"
is complete and utter garbage. You're right, radiation cannot be coughed out but that's because it's RADIATION. It's ENERGY. You cannot cought out red light no more than you can cough out "radiation". It does not "build up in your body" and it does not have a "longer decay rate." Radioactive atoms emit radiation and thereby decay into more stable atoms, but this has nothing to do with what you're saying; however, cigarettes contain a lot of carcinogens which do build up in your body through smoking, as it does when you smoke cannibis.
3. No, there hasn't been a positive cancer link found between marijuana and cancer, but not for any of the reasons you've stated above. While cannibis contains many cancer causing agents, THC has been speculated to be an anti-cancer chemical which kills old cells before it has a chance to become cancerous.
I completely support informed experimentation and the freedom of choice when it comes to substances, but please, if you're going to do it, be smart about it. Learn some elementary science. Don't just regurgitate nonsense pro-pot propaganda you've heard. Propaganda is propaganda, whichever side it's for.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana
- spark_55Lv 41 decade ago
That's a good point. Actually though, nowadays, it seems everything causes cancer. I think the reason some people don't smoke pot is b/c it causes short term memory loss which leads to long term memory loss.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous1 decade ago