If a company use deceptive advertisement to made me get their product, what legal actions can I do?

Freecreditreport.com owned by Experian took $14.95 from me. Their advertisement was deceptive and they have purposely made it highly unlikely to find a product was bundled with the "free report".

I know I can call them and cancel it, but if they are not willing to refund, am I entitle to make legal actions? or I can only submit complaints to organizations like FTC and BBB? Can I sue them over it? if I can, what do I need to know to sue them? any reference laws and books you can recommend? Does it varies from state and state? if it does, I'm currently in NY. Their headquarters, are in Ireland.

Update:

These are from wikipedia:

The Florida state attorney general is currently conducting a civil (not criminal) investigation of Experian for possible violations of Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act.[1] Possible violations include misleading advertising, misleading domain name, failure to honor cancellations, and failure to disclose a negative option enrollment.[2] The Federal Trade Commission had previously cited Experian for not making clear to consumers they would be charged an annual subscription for signing up at FreeCreditReport.com. Experian settled this matter without admitting guilt.[3]

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Call your credit card company. They may revoke the charge.

• 1 decade ago

Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act.[1] Possible violations can misleading advertising, misleading name, failure to honor cancellations, and failure to disclose a negative option enrollment.[2] The Federal Trade Commission had previously cited Expierian for not doing clear to costumers they would be charged an annual

subscription for signing up at FreeCreditReport.com. Experian settled this matter without admitting guilt.[3

Source(s): florida law
  • 4 years ago

It depends on the state you live in and its laws. Some states do not allow personal suits for deceptive trade practices and some do. I know of no case where you can sue without having been harmed though. In other words, if you know the ad is deceptive and don't respond to it, you cannot sue. However, in almost all cases, the law will allow the state to sue or prosecute the company. Contact your state Attorney General's office and see if they have a consumer protection division. Report the company to them. This is at no cost to you.

• 1 decade ago

You have every right to sue for recovery.

They have every right to win. every ad they have on TV and the internet comes with the disclaimer that to receive the 'free report' you must enroll in the program.

Otherwise, a typical credit report costs from $49 to 500 depending on the breath of the report.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

they say in the ad that it is free only with enrollment in their credit monitoring service. You can request a copy of your credit report from each credit institution once a year without any charge.

Edit, use the last link to get your free report. It will be delivered through the mail, not online.

• 1 decade ago

It's $14.95. Legal action? Are you kidding me?

Go find something good to do, like reading details before buying things.

• 1 decade ago

I bet if you really examined the ad you will find out that it was accurate, even if it was deceiving.

HOW much are you willing to waste to get $15 back

It is a cheap education for you.

NOTHING IS FREE.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.