Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 1 decade ago

What are the three important Chinese Islands?

I only can find Hainan and Taiwan !

Favorite Answer

Taiwan (the island) is a de facto sovreign nation.

It might be Taiwan, or it might be the Republic of China. Dr. Sun Yat-sen's dream (that China will be a modern prosperous democacy) has NEVER died. It is up to the people of Taiwan, not the Beijing oligarchy, to decide the future of Taiwan.

Taiwan (the island) might be Taiwan, or it might be the Republic of China but it is emphatically NOT governed from Beijng and (if the Gods are kind) it NEVER will be.

EDIT: OH DEAR. I SEEM TO HAVE STEPPED ON SOME TOES HERE. I LIVE IN TAIWAN. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT DOMESTIC DECISIONS HERE ARE MADE WITHOUT ANY INPUT FROM CHINA. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT TAIWAN HAS ITS OWN ARMED FORCES (THE SOLE PURPOSE OF WHICH IS TO PROVIDE A CREDIBLE DETERRENT AGAINST ATTACK, I DON'T KNOW WHO TAIPEI THINKS MIGHT ATTACK US, BUT I DOUBT IF THEY ARE WORRIED ABOUT BRAZIL OR MALAYSIA DOING SO). TAIWAN MINTS ITS OWN MONEY, AND ISSUES ITS OWN PASSPORTS. THE GOVERNMENT IS CHOSEN BY THE LOCAL PEOPLE IN ELECTIONS. THE COLD WAR WAS A LONG TIME AGO, AND I WANT NO PART OF RETURNING TO THOSE DAYS.

There is an English expression with which my Chinese friends might be unfamiliar. "if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck."

China's three biggest islands are Taiwan, Hainan, and Chongming Islands. Chongming Island is on the estuary of Changjiang, and is in the administration of Shanghai municipality.

To learn more about china vist: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/china-vacation-renta...

China's three biggest islands are Taiwan(The biggest one), Hainan(The second one), and Chongming(The third one) Islands. Chongming Island, the outermost part of Shanghai, seems to have been left far behind by the soaring economy of the mainland. While Shanghai tops the country for its fast development and rising wealth, Chongming's gross domestic product (GDP) per capita is only one-fourth that of the mainland.If you wana learn more about Chongming you can log on http://www.foreignercn.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=...

3 most important would be - Hong Kong, Macau and Hainan, all big money makers for China

This has nothing to do with your question.

To Pagan Dan: When has Taiwan ever been sovereign when it still has to declare independence from China who is sucking up its cash flow? If China didn't have economic control Taiwan, Taiwan wouldn't even be complaining.

You forgot Hong Kong, a very important island and also Mauca? I think that there are probably 4 important islands!