What Are The Differences Between The TALMUD, The MISHNAH, The TORAH And The TANAKH ...?

Can someone break it down for me? I've tried going into it online, but I'm still confused. Specifically, I'm trying to get information on how the Jews view Christ, the Resurrection, and the End of the World.

I'm finding that there are different types of beliefs in Judaism; there are the Messianic Jews, who believe that Jesus is the Messiah that the Jewish people have been waiting for, and there are the Orthodox Jews, who believe otherwise. What, I don't know ... as the sites don't really go into it.

As far as the End of the World, or Armageddon ... or whatever else it's referred to, I can't find anything on it. As far as the Afterlife, among other unexplainable occurrences ... I don't know where to find info on that either!

Favorite Answer

That's a rather broad question, but here's the exceutive summary:

1. Torah is a generic term to refer to all Jewish sacred texts, including Tanach, Mishna, Talmud, Kabbalah etc.

The accurate use of the word Torah refers specifically to the Five Books of Moses (that you would find in the Torah scroll in a synagogue).

2. Tanach refers to the 24 books of Torah, the prophets and the heliographia- or what most of the world calls the "old" Testament.

3. Mishnah is a summarized version of all issues of Jewish law, which had been presented to Moses at Sinai and passed on verbally for close to 1000 years before this "study-aid" was compiled.

4. Talmud explains the legal rulings of the Mishna, cites the Scriptural source, debates the practical application and teaches insights into Scriptural stories and Jewish ethical behaviour.

5. Messianic Jews (as you may have picked up from some of the answers here) are not a Jewish group. They may have some Jewish members, but they are decidedly Christian.

6. End of the world- we're not doomsayers, we believe it will a Utopia for all.

Now, here are the places to get more information from reliable Jewish sources:

www.askmoses.com

(Torah et al= http://www.askmoses.com/list/119/Torah.html,

Afterlife = http://tinyurl.com/24okxd)

www.chabad.org

www.moshiach.com (for "Armageddon" etc.)

www.jewfaq.org

www.jewsforjudaism.com

www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org

You'll also find Wikipedia useful for Tanach, Talmud etc.

There's an awful lot in your question, and I'm not sure how it all relates. But I'll try to explain a few things.

Jews DON'T view Christ, the resurrection and the end of the world. Those concepts just don't exist in Judaism. That's a bit like asking how Christians view a Zen koan, or an Easter Island statue. If you don't understand why we don't see Jesus as the Messiah, take a look at http://www.whatjewsbelieve.org/

Torah is part of the Tanakh, Mishnah is part of the Talmud. Take a look at http://www.jewfaq.org/torah.htm#Talmud

http://www.jewfaq.org is a generally useful website.

So much of what you ask is Christian and not Jewish - Armageddon, End of the World etc etc. And - 'Messianic Jews' aren't Jews, as they believe in Jesus as the Messiah. The afterlife is not much of a concept in Judaism - unlike in Christianity where it's right up there. Many Jews do not accept the idea of an afterlife, and among those who do, it's still not hugely important - what matters is this life and our attempt at Tikkun Olam, the repair of the world.

There are various branches of Judaism, including Chasidic, Modern Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist (in the US) and Chasidic, Modern Orthodox, Masorti, Reform and Liberal (in the UK).

You ask: "What Are The Differences Between The TALMUD, The MISHNAH, The TORAH And The TANAKH ...?

Can someone break it down for me? I've tried going into it online, but I'm still confused."

answer>>>The Torah is the complete Jewish Scriptures, dealing with all Jewish philosophy, spirituality, religion, rituals, ethics and morals from the giving of the Torah at Mt Sinai, 3300 years ago to the present. Included in the Torah is The Chumash, the 5 Books of Moses, which were the direct dictation of G-d to Moses. The Chumash, because it is the only 'direct dictation' is also called the Torah, because it is the highest spiritually of all Jewish Scriptures. The Tanach is the 5 Books of Moses plus all of the histories, prophets and spiritual books. The Christians attempted to steal the Tanach and call it the Old Testament. But the Christian translation is purposely false and a distortion of true Judaism. The Talmud was written from about 300 CE [Common Era corresponds to AD] to 700 CE. When the Chumash was dictated to Moses, 3300 years ago, most of it was learned not as a written record, but as an oral, memorized record. This is called the Oral Torah. The oral Torah was transmitted from generation to generation by memorization as one Rabbi passed it on to his students and the students, when they became Rabbis, transmitted orally it to their students and so on. By 300 CE the Romans, in an attempt to destroy Judaism started to kill off all of the specialized memorizers. To save the Oral Torah, it was finally committed to writing. The writing is called the Talmud. The Mishnah is the study of the Laws and Rules of Judaism that are contained in the Talmud.<<<

You ask: "Specifically, I'm trying to get information on how the Jews view Christ, the Resurrection, and the End of the World.”

answer>>>1/ Jesus Christ is not the Messiah. 2/ To Judaism, the idea of a part god, part human demi god is abhorrent; to Judaism, the idea of human sacrifice is abhorrent; to Judaism, the idea of a god raping a woman is abhorrent; to Judaism, the idea of a forever hell rules by a Devil is abhorrent; to Judaism, the idea of a three part god is abhorrent; to Judaism, the idea of some one else suffering for a persons sins is abhorrent. 3/ The Resurrection is fiction. 4/ The End of the World will come when the true Messiah, who is fully human and will truly fulfill all the Jewish prophecies, will lead to a peaceful and spiritual world called Olam Habah [the World to Come] which is open/available to all B'nai Israel [the Jewish people] and all of the righteous of the Nations.<<<

You note: "I'm finding that there are different types of beliefs in Judaism; there are the Messianic Jews, who believe that Jesus is the Messiah that the Jewish people have been waiting for, and there are the Orthodox Jews, who believe otherwise. What, I don't know ... as the sites don't really go into it."

answer>>> 'Messianic Judaism' is a fraud created by evangelic Christians to trick Jews into converting to Christianity. It is not recognized by any part of the Jewish Community anywhere in the world. Orthodox Judaism/Jews are the present day advocates and practioners of the Torah True Tradition that starts with Moses, goes through the Judges and the Prophets and the Pairs and the Pharisees until now. 2 excellent sites for Orthodox Judaism are:

http://www.aish.com/

http://www.torah.org/

You ask: "As far as the End of the World, or Armageddon ... or whatever else it's referred to, I can't find anything on it. As far as the Afterlife, among other unexplainable occurrences ... I don't know where to find info on that either!"

answer>>>The two sites noted will help you with all of this. The obsession with the End of the World that consumes Christianity is just not found in Judaism. We are much more interested in the here and now, not the then and later. Life after death is a prime tenant of Judaism and who gets it and who does not is covered in the teaching" All of B'nai Israel [the people of Israel] and the Righteous of the Nations [righteous gentiles] have a portion in Olam Habah [the World to Come]."<<<

OK, let's clarify:

Firstly: the Messianics are NOT Jewish, in any way. They are a Christian missionary group, founded and led by an ordained Baptist Minister. They are not a sect WITHIN Judaism; their openly stated aim is to convert Jews TO Christianity.

Now, regarding our view of Jesus: we don't view Jesus, full stop. He simply does not feature in Judaism. We have had, throughout Jewish history, countless Jewish men claiming to be the 'messiah' - none of them have fulfilled the criteria as yet.

Armageddon: Jews believe that when the messiah does come, he will usher in peace; he will redeem Israel and then the world. There will be no more war, no more disease, no more discord. The Jewish messiah will 'perfect' the world and help us create G-d's kingdom, right here on earth.

TORAH = five books of Moses

TANAKH = what Christians call the 'old' testament, but the OT is not identical to the actual Tanakh, and often the OT is MIStranslated.

TALMUD = the most significant collection of teachings from the Oral Torah

MISHNAH = written compilation of the oral Torah; forms the basis of the Talmud

TO THE ASKER

- you might find these websites helpful :)

http://www.whatjewsbelieve.org/

http://www.jewsforjudaism.com

I think the info you are mentioning will be available on these sites - and of course feel most welcome to post any other questions you may have :)

Source(s): - am Jewish

You won't find Christ mentioned in any of those that you listed, as Christ does not matter in the slightest in Judaism. The Talmud is basically commentary on the laws and traditions of Judaism. The Mishnah is what is called the oral Torah. The Torah is the five books of Moses. The Tahakh is the Torah plus the other books of the Old Testament. And in all of those, you'll find exactly zero mention of Jesus. In Judaism, he's a non-entity. So-called Messianic Jews are just Christians who are afraid to tell their parents that they've converted. Real Jews are orthodox, conservative, reform, or reconstructionist.

the Hebrew Bible is not the Complete Jewish Bible. The Hebrew Bible is another way of saying the Tanack or a printed Bible containing only the Old Testament. Tanack is an acronym which means Torah, Prophets, and Writings. The Torah is the first five books of the Bible, also called the Law of Moses or the Penteteauch. The Talmud is something else completely. It is the Oral Tradition written by the Rabbis. It contains a lot of history and commentaries about scripture.

• nellie

Mishnah And Talmud

• Feivel

I was going to answer this with a detailed explaination but Paperback Writer and Ambivelt Bittern beat me to it and there is really nothing I can add.

I do want to add to their statments though that Messianic Jews do not represent Jews. They are Christians (although some may have a Jewish background) who call themselves Messianic Jews.

Good question though.

Note to Hope: I love the "Vegetarians for eating Beef" thing. If that does not make people understand it I don't know what will LOL

• neil s

Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim are the three parts of the Tanakh. talmud is the legalistic tradition derived from Torah, and Mishnah is a separate tradition.

Jews culd see Christ in many different ways, since he (for them) has no bearing on their religion.

There is no Armageddon in any Jewish text. It is found in Revelation. There are also differing Judaic beliefs in the afterlife, everything from a kind of limbo (sheol) to Kabbalistic texts on reincarnation (Hebrew "Gilgul").

All of the folks who insist or otherwise strongly imply that Messianic Jews (Jews For Jesus) are not Jews... (the cute one that I like was "vegetarians for beef")... I like that as UNTRUE as it is seeing as how Yashua (more comnonly known as Jesus by most folks) who in fact set the example or the template so to speak) .. was in fact, by birth and heritage (which makes one a Jew) ... a Jew. In fact, drum roll please.... all of his disciples/apostles and firs believers were Jews. It is not possible to stop being a Jew just because one believe that Yashua (which means the salvation of Yah) was indeed the promised Messiah ANYMORE than it is possible to no longer be a Jew because you are a bank robber, dope dealer, child molester, homosexual, born black (there are in fact Ethiopian Jews (proven to be so by DNA - and even allowed to immigrate to Israel on account of it) etc. etc. To say that they all (including the Pharisee Nicodemus mentioned in the New Testament along with many other Jewish believers beside simply the 12 disciples (for instance the women that discovered his empty tomb) are no longer Jews because the believe that the one crucified by the scribes/pharisees was in fact the PROMISED Messiah is ridicularity at it it s height. I know ricularity is not a word. Neither is dumbnivity... but I reserve the right to use them as to be fully understood by your audience supercedes any grammatical rule.