where to find value of old coins?

We have old dimes and wheat pennies[2500] How can we find if any have a reasonable value other than face value

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

www.coinworld.com has some good info for you. They also publish a price guide you can buy at a store or online.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

You can go to any book store and get a book on rare coins as well as search rare coins on the internet.

Do not clean your coins, the dealers want them in their original state. I do know for a fact that there is a wheat penny made during the 1930's that is worth several grand.

Im not sure why. There was also a time of about 3 years that wheat pennies were made a certain way that makes them very rare also. I had all this info at one time.

Play it safe and dont sell any of the pennies you have until you have thoroughly searched them. You can also buy coin holders at the book store that has a place for each year, and you just press then in their slot.

A coin dealer will be willing to give you top dollare for a collection that is catagorized and well organized. This also will help you know what you have. Mercury dimes and buffalo nickles are next in line for value .

Good luck on your search, I hope you find a gold mine in there somewhere.

Jackie

• 4 years ago

Some good guesses and not so good guesses above. When most people clean a coin they use harsh chemicals and or physically abusive techniques. In the process they take off layers of metal or cause other damage to the surface of the coin. Loss of metal and damage are no-no's in the hobby. A century ago bright and shiny was in but today's hobbyist want a coin in original condition. Patina does not have a lot to do with original condition. It has a whole lot to do with eye appeal. Which is another factor when you are grading coins, especially mint state coins. Patina is a naturally occurring process that generally does not detract from a coins grade.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They have a blue book published annually that appraises coins. Also Magazines and internet. Keep an eye out for the double die coins, they are worth 10's of 1,000's

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

By a coin collector book which tells you the prices. You can get it at Chapters in the hobbie section.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

check ebay prices for similar coins then sell them for the same price

• 1 decade ago

online...find a coin collection site...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the better the condition the better the sell

• 1 decade ago

You want to look for local museum...

Source(s): wiki
  • 1 decade ago

pawn Shop or onlien.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.