World Literature?

Can anyone please help, I have half of the answers for the questions: But I need b and c. Please HELP

Write 175-300 words answering the following questions:

a) What literature do you consider to be part of the United States’ current literary canon, and why?

I consider Louisa May Alcott, Sherwood Anderson, Margaret Atwood, James Baldwin, Saul Bellow, Ray Bradbury, Pearl S. Buck, Truman Capote, Stephen Crane, Emily Dickenson, Ralph Waldo Emerson, William Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Charles Frazier, Nathanial Hawthorne, Ernes Hemingway, Dashiell Hammett, Alex Haley, Zora Neale Hurston, John Irving, Henry James, Barbara Kingsolver, Harper Lee, Madeleine L’Engle, Sinclair Lewis, Jack London, Norman Mailer, Toni Morrison, Herman Melville, Margaret Mitchell, Flannery O’Connor, Joyce Carol Oates, Edgar Allen Poe, Chaim Potok, Thomas Pynchon, Robert Persig, Ayn Rand, J. D. Salinger, Betty Smith, Wallace Steger, Harriet Beecher Stowe, John Steinbeck, Amy Tan, Anne Tyler, Henry David Thoreau, Mark Twain, John Updike, Alice Walker, Edith Wharton, Thornton Wilder, Thomas Wolfe, Richard Wright, Walt Whitman.

William Faulker Why? Because he is considered to be the greatest American author of all time because of his international recognition in winning the Nobel Prize and his subsequent Pulitzer Prizes.

b) How do those selections reflect the cultural tradition of the United States?

c) What do you consider to be part of your personal literary canon?

Favorite Answer

To answer the CULTURAL TRADITION question, the answer is simple conformation of the media in that time-frame.

All of those (you) mentioned have their own literary style that is reminiscent of the ideals in their own culture.

You could mention a "bullet-point" type of examples of each author's literary and grammatical style and mirror that against that time-frame in American history.

For (c)-question....... the ULTIMATE answer reflects on your own personal reading-style.

How you use your own experience in reading will "load your literary (grammatical) canon."

HERE, you can really expound on your own reading finesse.

Source(s): Mrs. Carolyn Miller, who was my sophomore yr. High school Engl. teacher, my current activities as a TOASTMASTER and I am a Substitute Teacher.

Yeah, look into James Joyce. He was Irish, and he wrote what was apparently regarded by some as the best novel of the twentieth century in 'Ulyses'. That book isn't for everybody though, and it's about seven hundred pages long. But if you like experimental, stream of consciousness, occasionally brilliant literature then you can't go wrong with that. And Yes, Joyce was born in Ireland.