Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 1 decade ago

Why does the earth smell just before it rains?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Arasan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The smell emnates from a chemical buried in the soil called 'geosmin'(literally,earth smell).

This smell is given off by a bacteria.This bacteria(called Actinomycetus) grow in soil when conditions are damp and warm.When the soil dries out,the bacteria produces the geosmin spores in the soil as a survival strategy..When the rain hits the soil in a nearby place,it kicks up an aerosol of water and soil and spores into the air,where they are easier to smell(just like an air freshner).

We breathe in fine particles of soil containing the bacteria.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why does the earth smell just before it rains?

Source(s): earth smell rains: https://tinyurl.im/tHC61
  • Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Call the plumber. Not only could there be a block, you could also have a leak (horrible thought). If you have a sump pump, check that. Has there been any construction or such that may have changed the grade around the house, thus preventing runoff from getting far enough from the house? Don't forget the sanitary stack on the roof.......those pipes that come up through the roof. They get clogged from leaves, birds, etc and affect how water runs through the sewer pipe...yes, it's all interconnected: air pressure. Most plumbers over look the sanitary pipes, vent pipes, whatever you want to call them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

maybe it's the smell being blown in from the area that just received rain. kind of like dust & pollen and stuff that got kicked up and blown over.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

normal before rain but i love the scent that is in atmosphere after the rain.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm not sure but I'm guessing that it has something to do with heat within the atmosphere.

• 1 decade ago

good question i dont know though,, the copper electric lines overhead by our house go very blue before a storm too

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.