Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOther - Sports · 1 decade ago

Sword Question!?

what are the different parts of the sword?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, for most swords they parts are the same, but for European swords the blade can be divided it to two parts. The "forte" is the lower half and is considered the stronger section, the "foible" is the upper half and tends to be weaker for blocking purposes. Due to the way you hold the weapon, the closer to the hand on the blade that is hit, the better chance you have of resisting the force. If you have heard of the term feeble, that is where that word originates. The weak part of the blade.

Anyways, you have the guard which is between the handle and the blade. It is also known as a cross or the quillions in european weaponry or the "tsuba" in japanese terminology. The pommel is the bottom part of the sword and is meant for balancing the weapon. Again, if you have heard the term "pommeling" someone, that is where that word comes from. There are techniques in historical sword manuals that show hitting someone in the face with that part of the sword.

Overall the guard, handle and pommel are called the "hilt"

I hope this helps. For japanese sword terminology, there are MANY different names for the parts and I couldn't begin to help you with those.

Source(s): This page: http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/terms/terms.htm should help you with the Japanese words. I'm a sword collector and martial artist.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Here is a nice picture of a European sword with the pieces and parts labled:

http://www.albion-swords.com/articles/images/anato...

Got nothing for you for Eastern swords, not my area of study. Sorry.

• 4 years ago

The blade. The gaurd. The hilt. The handle. The pomel.

• 1 decade ago

maybe you should write more clearly for your question.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

konichywa

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.