tangerine asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Are there actually very many people who have stable moods?

I have clinical depression, ADHD, and anxiety myself, so I'm always having mood swings. However, I've noticed that a lot of other people here seem to also have major mood swing troubles. Are there actually very many people in the world who have stable moods, or are mood swings just a normal part of life?

Favorite Answer

i have a bad case of ADHD and bipolar disorder type I[which is basically severe mania with less depressive times] and i guess the mania fuels the ADHD which makes it even worse to deal with.

but i've been on meds for a year now for both [3 eyars ago was the last time i took a stimulant...concerta sucks, i was only in 8th grade when i decided to quit..which was a stupid mistake.] disorders. i am generally a stable person believe it or not. when i get mad...i can get out of that quickly, same with depression ...it's like..w.hen i know i'm getting suicidal...i just chill out...and try to quit crying and thinking bad thoughts. my strength i've build up within the last year helps me to stop with the bad thoughts to be honest.

'normal' people have stable moods naturally.

of course, mood swings are a normal part of life...

PMS..menopause...puberty...stressed out times...

all bringforth mood swings. but for others, it is a mental disorder because it gets severe.

you might want to go back to the doc. mood swings are an indicator of bipolar disorder. and since you're diagnosed with depression and anxiety...it's a big red flag when you're having mood swings all the time. many people with ADHD do develope bipolar disorder down the road.

so you might wanna search on BP. i mean, there are various types of it...but it's bad it someone who does have BP is on antidepressants all it does it make you worse.

• Alex62

Normal is a statistical average. Nothing else. "Normal" mood swings stay within an averaged boundary, so yes, most of the population does have relatively stable moods. It seems to me that a lot of the population also has varying traits of mental illnesses, particularly the personality disorders. I get a kick out of this, btw, not that they are clinical since the actual disorders are just the extremes of what occur in everybody.

To answer your question more directly, as ppl get older they tend to even out more. Then along comes menopause and some women have a bumpy ride for a while. More or less, however, a person's perception of how stable ppl are depends more on what circle of friends you travel with and what profession you work in... or at least that's been my experience.

ETA: I have bipolar disorder, which is why a sort of laugh at the um, unusual personality traits. Although there have been times when I'd give anything to be as stable as the "normals," most of the time I look around and believe that most ppl are crazier than the MI ppl managing their illnesses. Oh, and the stat for world wide MI is easily over 10%, no 1% as answered above.

• Susas

There are some who never or almost never have mood swings. Usually they are men with Asperger's syndrome or people with mild lifelong depression who just don't care much about anything. Most people actually do remain fairly stable but not perfectly stable most of the time. Frequent mood swings are not what I would call normal. There is a normal range of mood variance. If you spend to much time outside the range, you have a mood disorder.

Any developing science has perspective issues like this. Basically, anyone is stable until they aren't. If you look at a short enough space in time, eveyone's completely stable, even if comatose.

The true perspectives that matter are: Yours, God's, and "Caesar's" - meaning societies' perspective. If you're content with who you are, that's one down. If your faith says you're content with what you're doing, that's two - well, not really, but as close as you can get. The third one is the tricky part, since it's dependant on where you live and when you live there: For example, ancient royalty drank from lead cups that damaged/poisoned their brains - making them forget things easily, but since they were in charge, it was "sane".

Currently, we're kind of obsessed in the U.S. about being "normal". There's a difference between being "different" and benign, and being unstable and a threat to your health or someone else's. Angleman's syndrome isn't under a lot of scrutiny, since it's considered non-threatening... but some day it may have long term consequences and be changed to "insanity", simply because endorphines are constantly being pumped into the blood stream...

I find that my own mood gets better when I'm not around "normal" people, but rather "odd" artists, poets, musicians, "disabled" people - anyone who doesn't look through the same lenses that everyone else does.

My wife and stepdaughter would probably consider my mood "stable", while I would consider them "unstable", but not dangerous. I firmly believe all people are unstable in some way - but people who are unable to be healthy or function in their environment certainly need help.

Do your mood swings involve going into hypomania or mania? If so, you may have bipolar disorder and have been mistakenly diagnosed with depression. This happens more often then you might think because people with bipolar disorder only tell their doctors about their depression and they think of hypomanic episodes as just being normal. You should immediately start researching bipolar disorder and make sure you don't have symptoms. If you do, then tell your psychiatrist! These disorders are treated completely differently. I frequently hear stories from bipolar people who got treated for depression and it made them worse than they were before. My ex-girlfriend even had this happen to her.

Yes, mood swings are normal. However, when your mood swings get really bad, interfere with your life, and can occur for no reason whatsoever, then you have a disorder and need to treat it.

I believe that people that have had a "mentally healthy" life,

have not been abused, traumatized, or mistreated do have a more stable mood than the other unfortunate people.

I think the people that have more stable moods seem to know how to manage stress so that it does not overwhelm them.

The other unfortunate people have to learn how to manage stress because there has been so much extreme stress in their lives. Best Wishes.

Over 1 percent of the world population has some kind of mental illnes. Many people that are on medications can seem very normal most of the time and do well as long as they stick to their meds. Sometimes, it goes away by itself too, about 25%. Most people that have a mental illness do try to hide it too.

Source(s): Someone I love in my family has a mental illness

NOPE! Ups and downs are a part of life. Its unfortunate that so many people are labeled with a "mental disorder" these days.

No. Bipolar disorder is a mental disorder, not a physical one.

I consider myself pretty stable, but maybe that's a misnomer.