Joel
Joel asked in SportsFantasy Sports · 1 decade ago

Who to start: Tulowitzki or Yunel Escobar?

The thing is, I have Adam Wainwright (who's starting against the Rox) and Tulo. I'm not wanting to take a chance, but I'm unsure if I should start Escobar b/c of his 0-for-3 last night. Escobar and the Braves are playing the Pirates. Pittsburgh's starter is Ian Snell.

Favorite Answer

Tulo met Wainwright once last season (May 9, 2007) and he went 1 out of 4 (.250) with one strikeout against him. and he is just a career .231 hitter at Busch Stadium.

while Escobar will be facing Snell for the first time. he is a career .331 hitter at Turner Field. and the good news is, Snell, in his three games at Turner Field in his career, is pitching a horrible 5.68 ERA and 1.50 WHIP including last season where he was credited for seven runs (four earned) in his only start there.

so basing on the statistics above, i will start Escobar today. he wants to bounce back after getting hitless last night.

good luck.

• jreb64

A player's performance from the previous day rarely has an impact on the performance of the next day. A day game after a night game, particularly with travel involved, is more likely to have an impact for an older player. Probably no impact on somebody like Yunel.

Some times you should take the opposing pitcher into consideration. Like I'm not starting Mike Jacobs today because of Santana.

Having said all of this, Tulowitski is IMO by far the better bet for the season. I would start him every game. Yunel is also 2B eligible so you can consider him there or he could be valuable as a backup in both positions.

• Snell is a good pitcher also. I would start Tulo as it hedges for both players. A good game for Tulo doesn't necessarily mean Wainwright has a bad game, but if Wainwright does have a bad game, you want to have Tulo in so that you get some value from a bad outing from your starter.

Source(s): Experience.

Snell is a good pitcher also. I would start Tulo as it hedges for both players. A good game for Tulo doesn't necessarily mean Wainwright has a bad game, but if Wainwright does have a bad game, you want to have Tulo in so that you get some value from a bad outing from your starter.

• Minh

Never worry about matchups for your hitters, unless one of them is playing at Coors Field circa 2000.

Pitchers are another matter, as some of them have extreme home/road splits, but it's often hard to tell how much of that is real and how much is an artifact of random bad innings happening to fall onto one side of the split. I lean toward that being a better explanation than an actual different home/road ability level.

Basically, play your best players every day.

Troy is miles away better than Yunel. don't worry about match ups this early in the season.