Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Can you guys name the books that have changed your life and also state the reasons why it had such a big?

on you. Could you guys also recommend me some books that you believe a person MUST read in their lifetime?

Favorite Answer

"1984" Without a doubt an amazing insight into how society could eventually change.

"fahrenheit 451" another fine book detailing how our society could end up.

"welcome to the monkey house" is actually a compiltaion of short stories by kurt vonnegut that has some profound messages hidden in the pages.

All of these books delve into the way our society could end up changing if we keep trying to make everyone conform. The books are all eye opening and life changing. Also don't forget "a hand maids tale" there are too many to list but those should get you started.

The Alchemist-Paul Coehlo... Sparked a light in me that I can no longer ignore.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance- Robert Pirsig...

Taught me the importance of becoming self aware.

Tuesday's w/ Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven- Mitch Albom... Taught me the importance of appreciating life/loved ones and that time is fleeting so I must actively live now.

Must reads: Those stated above, all major religious texts and maybe some comic books for nostalgia and a laugh.

While I can't think of any titles that have specifically changed my life, I think the books that have had the most impact on my life have been ones told from the perspective of people of different cultures and time periods. The ones from different time periods have taught me a lot about history and about how things change in some ways and remain the same in others. The ones about different cultures have taught me that people around the world all struggle with the same issues, and that people are fascinating in all their different cultures, lives, experiences, etc. Try www.goodreads.com for suggestions. Also, librarians are great people to ask for recommendations!

I would say that "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck has had a profound effect on me. Since you may not have read it, I won't give you any spoilers. However, I will say that the Hebrew word "timshel" has a lot of meaning!:)

Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig. The road less travelled????? Read them both and you will know what i mean.

Filth by Irvine Welsh. made me see that my life, in comparison to the pratagonist`s is Hunfy-fcuking -dory

The bible, Redbook, Who moved my cheese?, the color purple (it helped recognize that i actually was black), cosmogirl august 2007 (helped me have the best prom ever!!!! new tricks for exfoliating while sleeping), and Fight Club (actually a movie but still inspired me in my life)

"Feelings Buried Alive Never Die", by Karol Truman ............. because it taught me how feelings have actual vibrations... and feelings practically run our bodies.

dale carnegi books..