Water trapped in ear from surfing.?

Hi ppl. Had water trapped in my ear for 4 days now from the surf.... dont really wanna go to docs.. It started to get better but I went for a surf again yesterday.. now its TOTALLY clogged.

any suggestions? ive had wax removal drops in there.. ive had the hair dryer on it... my finger in there... ear buds... still.. its clogged.

• John F
    Favorite Answer

Don't mess around with any of these suggestions! Go see a doc. You could end up with a problem that leaves you deaf &/or unable to go back into the water. I destroyed my eardrum in 1973, and It has never been successfully repaired. Both Navy & civilian docs tried. I can't dive anymore, and even snorkleing can create problems. I sometimes surf with a wax ear plug, but that usually gets blown out after one good wipe out. I endure lots of pain & hearing loss. Learn from this.

Water Trapped In Ear

You have discribed perfectly what Surfer's Ear is all about, what you need is an ear wax removal kit, not only do you have water in the ear, but there could be a build up of some wax as well, have someone put a few drops of the liquid into your ear, wait about ten minutes and then with one of those squeeze balls, have someone go into the ear and remove the remains from the ear. That should clear the problem up, The next time you go surfing, put some ear plugs in your ear, so you won't have this problem again.

Exact same thing happened to me man, went surfing, a wave crashed in my ear. right smack on my right ear.

The whole 4 days of that surf trip i jumped around, pressurising the ear, dropping 2 drops of water then shaking my head.. it did help a bit. But the water or whatever it was was still inside.

Came back to the city, it had been 2 days since the trip, i was still hearing water or felt pressure in my ear.

I tried the hydrogen peroxide mixed with water and a medicine dropper.. It worked for like an hour but came back, the swooshing and water sounds in my ear.

Went to see an ENT doctor, he checked both my ears and said "your right ear has a perforation... caused by an impact." The wave made a small hole on the skin the protects the ear drum.. GOOD THING IT DIDNT GO INTO THE INNER EAR, THATS WHEN YOU KNOW YOU'RE F*CKED!

He said don't do that hydrogen peroxide or alcohol in your ears.. its not proper.. even water shouldn't be put.

He prescribed me, POSTOTIC EAR DROPS. its antibacterial. cleans your ear.. i have to do this 3x a day for 2 weeks now coz the hole is still there.

I suggest getting it checked, there might be a hole man.

Source(s): experience.

Well, if you don't have swimmer's ear quite yet, then use the Swimmer's Choice ear drop, after using a tissue to hand dry out you ears. But if you already have swimmer's ear, i.e., noticable pain to the touch or pain otherwise, go to the doctor and get a prescription for some antibiotic drops, which will take care of your problem in about 2-3 days and get you in the pool, but you must continue the drops for a week at least. Don't stop when the pain goes away, because it will come back. (I know this from experiance)

The smallest thing you should stick in your ear is your elbow. Go to the doctor. I've surfed for 30 years and have had every kind of infection, drum perforation and clogging you can imagine. Now I have excessive bone growth blocking them (surfers/swimmers ear) - 4 days is too long for water and your eardrums are extremely sensitive - if it's still blocked in a day or two get to the doc and at the very least know that there's more chance of you doing damage than fixing it sticking stuff in there.

I use to surf and this would happen to me, even when diving and staying under water for a while, but not for 4 days!

This might be painful but you might try pinching your nose shut and blow out at the same time; not from your mouth but from your nose, and since your nose is pinched together it will build up pressure and hopefully push out the water from the ears. You might have to do it a couple times.

If that doesn't help, lay on your side watching TV for a while and it should eventually drain out because of gravity.

Worse case scenario, you just might have to go to the doctors if the clogging sticks for more than 2 more days than it already has been.

Try a tad bit of Rubbing Alcohol. Put it in the ear and it will dry up the water. Or you can buy a product called Swimmers Ear at your local Supermarket. Works wonders. A couple of friends and I were jumping cliffs near where I live in Texas and when I hit the water I felt my ear pop. I found out later that it was from the pressure pushing water into my ear. It hurt like hell! Anyway good luck.

Source(s): Experience.

Are you sure it's water? If it's been four days, it might be an old fashioned ear infection?

Well, try rocking your head sideways to get it out (works for me) Alternately, try yawning or swallowing to open the inner ear tubes in the back of your throat.

• DON'T put your fing down your ear sillygoose.

when i get water in my ear when i'm at the beach, i take a shower and i let warm water run into my ear then i tip my head and let it out then when i am done, i put my head on a pillow and let everything else come out. if it hurts, go to doc.

Source(s): expierence, and i've hd swimmers ear