Why do people assume that anyone who calls themself a christian is?

people use this card often in saying that "well, there's all these hypocritical christians who are being so judgmental". i know my place and i know that i am in no place to judge. but by observing what people center their life goals around (usually selfish motives), i would say that less than half the... show more people use this card often in saying that "well, there's all these hypocritical christians who are being so judgmental". i know my place and i know that i am in no place to judge. but by observing what people center their life goals around (usually selfish motives), i would say that less than half the people in the U.S. who call themselves "christian" are. you are christian if you have
a) recognized your depraved state of sin
b) recognized Jesus' work on the cross: taking the punishment for the sin we deserve
c) accepted that and live to glorify God and not ourselves.

there's a lot of ppl living to glorify themselves these days, no?
Update: "By making that statement, you now place yourself as chief arbiter of the Christian religion, a title you have no claim to. It is probably best to allow Christianity to determine who is, and who isn't, a Christian, and Christianity has. And that's not the criteria." i am by no means trying to... show more "By making that statement, you now place yourself as chief arbiter of the Christian religion, a title you have no claim to. It is probably best to allow Christianity to determine who is, and who isn't, a Christian, and Christianity has. And that's not the criteria."

i am by no means trying to be the arbiter of all christianity. these are biblical values. but if you think that you can be a christian without living out the gospel and living for God only, how can you claim to be a christian? i only put those to clear up some misconcepetions on the definition. but it is unfair for you to say that i cannot put them. it's like you stating the bill of rights in your own words and me telling you that you have no right to be the "arbiter of american values". i'm simply reporting them.
Update 2: so many people are condemning me for being judgmental. all i'm saying is that you can't say you are a christian and live a lifestyle that shows no difference from the world. i don't want to be legalistic in saying you MUST read your bible EVERY DAY, but out of your devotion to God, wouldn't you anyway? show more so many people are condemning me for being judgmental. all i'm saying is that you can't say you are a christian and live a lifestyle that shows no difference from the world. i don't want to be legalistic in saying you MUST read your bible EVERY DAY, but out of your devotion to God, wouldn't you anyway?
28 answers 28