why do people assume that anyone who calls themself a christian is?

people use this card often in saying that "well, there's all these hypocritical christians who are being so judgmental". i know my place and i know that i am in no place to judge. but by observing what people center their life goals around (usually selfish motives), i would say that less than half the people in the U.S. who call themselves "christian" are. you are christian if you have

a) recognized your depraved state of sin

b) recognized Jesus' work on the cross: taking the punishment for the sin we deserve

c) accepted that and live to glorify God and not ourselves.

there's a lot of ppl living to glorify themselves these days, no?

"By making that statement, you now place yourself as chief arbiter of the Christian religion, a title you have no claim to. It is probably best to allow Christianity to determine who is, and who isn't, a Christian, and Christianity has. And that's not the criteria."

i am by no means trying to be the arbiter of all christianity. these are biblical values. but if you think that you can be a christian without living out the gospel and living for God only, how can you claim to be a christian? i only put those to clear up some misconcepetions on the definition. but it is unfair for you to say that i cannot put them. it's like you stating the bill of rights in your own words and me telling you that you have no right to be the "arbiter of american values". i'm simply reporting them.

so many people are condemning me for being judgmental. all i'm saying is that you can't say you are a christian and live a lifestyle that shows no difference from the world. i don't want to be legalistic in saying you MUST read your bible EVERY DAY, but out of your devotion to God, wouldn't you anyway?

Favorite Answer

This goes back to this 'tolerance" teachings of man again

they say God is Love and we are to love everyone and just get along......

That was Not and Is Not the message of the Cross

nor of Christ

so to follow mans teachings and doctrines and customs and traditions RATHER than Gods Word

everyone is considered a "christian"........so we can all...get along .

Then when the unbeliever hears , see's and watches this

They say to themselves.."".well i live better and more holy and moral than they do...so if they go to heaven ( if there is one ) so will i .""

All the while most of the 'preachers' are saying."".its ok just come to OUR building and pay a few tithes and IT will All be OK and we All can just get along ""

The Truth of the Matter is...........There is a heaven and a hell

There is an absolute Right and an absolute Wrong

There is ONLY ONE WAY to Heaven

and Only One way to hell

the way to heaven is by doing the Absolute Right thing

and the way to hell is by doing the absolute wrong

JESUS CHRIST is the Absolute RIGHT and Truth

and the Only way to Heaven

ANYTHING ELSE besides HIM

is Absolute Wrong

and the path to Hell !!!

You are a Christian if you believe Jesus to be the Son of God. You may not be the best, most shining example of that if you don't help others, study the Bible, etc, but Christian nonetheless.

EDIT: That's not a condemnation, just a statement of the facts. I do understand what you mean, as I myself am Christian, and try very hard to present myself as such, but by definition, a Christian is exactly as I have stated. I don't believe Adolph Hitler to have been a Christian just because he said so, because behind closed doors, he said otherwise, but I've had quite a hard time with a few (not all) of the self-proclaimed ''born again, Bible-believing Christians'' and their tendency to lean toward elitism. I do not see self-righteousness as anything even slightly Christian, but find it to be quite Pharisaic. I cannot disqualify other Christians because of their personal beliefs, even though some often do the same to me. Again, that would not be proper Christian behavior. That is all.

Peace,

Drew

You state:

"you are christian if you have

c) accepted that and live to glorify God and not ourselves."

By making that statement, you now place yourself as chief arbiter of the Christian religion, a title you have no claim to. It is probably best to allow Christianity to determine who is, and who isn't, a Christian, and Christianity has. And that's not the criteria.

I can understand why some would be confused about Christianity . There are many who claim to be Christian and , for sure are not . One popular cult comes to mind , cant name it but it has been around for centuries - fully make the claim they are Christian but demonstate otherwise . Maybe it would be better to call ourselves by such names as : Lutheran-Christian , Pentacostal-Christian , Mormon-Christian , Baptist-Christian . Many false , deceiving cults sprang up in the 19th century and it has lead to a great deal of confusion by non-believers .....

God is NOT the author of confusion !!!!

• Annie

I see the problem as this : Yes, a lot of people are Christian it is being a *member of the Body of Christ* that makes the difference..... and ONLY the Holy Spirit can put a person in that position..... In todays world, there are precious few who are in that positional state for eternity.... go in peace..... God bless

I am not Christian, but I understand your feeling. If I were a person that choose to follow a path, a path not just listen to stories and lectures, I would also not be happy with those who wore my same religion like a badge but didn't carry it inside.

Since we can often not change others, we have to be satisfied with developing and improving on our actions through the path we have decided to walk and hoping our good actions will rub off on those around us.

Keep thinking and question everything

Source(s): just a guy

Well people can call themselves anything they want to here in this country.

Many call themselves Christians because that is a family or traditional identification they feel obligated or loyal to, but i am sure there are other reasons.

The important thing for you to learn is that people are at all different places with God. Some have not begun but perhaps would like to if encouraged. Some have come a long ways but still have a long ways to go to be like Christ. It is better to encourage them and BE LOVE to them than to complain and grumble and judge.

• MBC H

I don't just assume that anyone who calls themselves a Christian - is a Christian! The bible tells us in James that we will know them by their works. We are saved through faith by the grace of God - but our works are the outward proof of our salvation. Christian means = Christ like... if someone doesn't act Christ like then why would you assume they are a Christian? We need to pray for them instead.

Well the good thing is that those that have not made a sincere connection with Christ yet call themselves Christians at least are aware of his truth. We just need to pray for them.

There are crooked people in every walk of life. There are crooked cops, lawyers,judges, etc. etc.

Therefore I think it safe to assume that there are crooked people who like to hide under the guise of Christianity, but

there are also many good Christians who are not crooked.