Can you stay home until your water breaks or can you refuse to let the break your water?

Has anyone ever refused to have their water broken, i know a lot of women are in labor for hours and the doctor will break the water. what happens if you chose to stay home until the water breaks, i know sometimes the baby can come right away but other times it can take many more hours. I guess i really want... show more Has anyone ever refused to have their water broken, i know a lot of women are in labor for hours and the doctor will break the water.

what happens if you chose to stay home until the water breaks, i know sometimes the baby can come right away but other times it can take many more hours.

I guess i really want to avoid any sort of pitocin and epidural and i know i would feel better at home so is it wrong to try to make it at home until the water breaks?
Update: Well how did women deliver babies b4 hospitals? i mean is the water broken solely for the purpose of speeding up the labor? I guess to be more clear- are there any dangers to not breaking the water and waiting it out
Update 2: Does water usually break at 9-10 cm or is it random?
Update 3: How is water broken? Does a doctor stick his hand in your uterus? or i read some hook thing is used (sounds awful)
Update 4: So broken water is a signal to the baby to get out of there right? or no if some people get to 10cm and it still doesnt break?
Update 5: M Kerr RN L&D= is it true what one of the posters said- there is no consent for pitocin? My husband is an Rn but clearly not in L&D and he pretty much assured me that for all situations there is consent unless i am dying in which case the assumption is i would want to be saved by any means necessary. I have extreme... show more M Kerr RN L&D= is it true what one of the posters said- there is no consent for pitocin? My husband is an Rn but clearly not in L&D and he pretty much assured me that for all situations there is consent unless i am dying in which case the assumption is i would want to be saved by any means necessary. I have extreme paranoya about getting stuff done to me without consent-i am pretty much accepting of everything as long as i know what is going on