Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Can I ask for a different nurse at my hospital?

I'm currently in the hospital for high blood pressure, and i've got a nurse that is driving me NUTS. Without going into too much detail, she is simply unprofessional and makes me somewhat uncomfortable with her demeanor.

I'm going to be here until I deliver more than likely, i'm really tired of dealing with her, and I don't think I can take it for four more weeks. Would it be strange of me to request a different nurse? Who would I even speak to in order to ask? Would the hospital staff consider me to be difficult if I asked?

Best Answer

OMG, yes, of course you can! Think of it this way...you are paying to be at the hospital. The nurse is receiving money for working there. In a way, you are her boss, and she is your employee.

Don't bother talking to the doctor about the nurses. The doctors are *not* in charge of the nursing staff in any way, and have no authority to make a change in the way nurses are staffed. Nurses do not work for doctors. Nurses work for other nurses.

Ask to speak to the charge nurse (a.k.a head nurse). S/he is the nurse in charge of that particular shift. Just explain that you would prefer a different nurse to be assigned to your care. It really isn't that big of a deal.

If the charge nurse does not provide results, then ask for the floor/department nurse (s/he is in charge of that floor/department for all shifts).

If you don't get satisfaction from the floor nurse, then ask to speak to the Nursing Supervisor. S/he is in charge of the nurses in the whole hospital during that shift.

If the Nursing Supervisor cannot help, then go to the DON (Director of Nursing) (s/he is in charge of the nurses in the entire hospital for all shifts).

I don't think you'll have to go past the charge nurse for what you want. Good luck. Stand up for yourself. You are having a baby...your stay should be as pleasant and stress-free as possible.

If you want a different nurse, by all means ask for one. If anything, in your condition, having to deal with annoying people may be increasing your blood pressure.

If it's the day shift nurse that bothers you, tell your concerns to your night shift nurse (or visa versa). Or you can ask to speak to the nursing supervisor. Or you can take the bull by the horns and tell the annoying nurse yourself that you'd like a different nurse. I don't think there is a "correct" way to deal with the situation.

If you don't make many unreasonable requests, I'm sure the hospital staff will not consider you to be difficult. But even if they do, they are trained to deal with difficult people and should treat you professionally, meaning that even if you annoy them, they should treat you so that you can't tell. So if you're worried about "backlash" because you complained, that should not be an issue. You are paying a lot of money for quality care. Do not be afraid to ask the staff to make your stay at the hospital as comfortable as possible.

EDIT: I talked to a friend who's a nurse. He said you should talk to the Care Facilitator about getting a new nurse. They report to the Head Nurse. Good luck.

Yes I think you should ask for a different nurse. Nurses do work hard and do a great job, but you can't bond with them all. I have come across nurses like that in my time . I always thought they knew best while at the same time I was made to feel very inferior and talked to like a child. If I had that time back again I would have complained. I did not have the confidence to do so. .Sometimes you only get treated the way you allow yourself to be. As you will notice everybody gets treated differently.

Source(s): Ask the Sister in charge of your ward you would like to have a different nurse and add someone you can relate to. You can then explain your reason..

The nursing staff is so short handed these days that you should consider yourself lucky that you even have a nurse. Sometimes a silent but rushing or cleaning hurridly appears to be a tough demeanor when it's merely that too much work has been given that person or the staff, and they just want to get it all done or have to get it all done on a tight schedule.

But to address yor question, if you spoke up then it would be you who is causing the friction and you "may" even get worse treatment like being ignored when you're in need. I'd suggest you have you have some relative drop off at the nurses desk a box of candy (for all the nurses) in your name. Maybe you can draw out kindness by first giving sweetness even though you're stressed out. I remember someone saying something about drawing bees to honey.

You have every right to ask for a new nurse, and I hope you do it. Next time a staff member comes in to check on you, ask them to send in a nursing supervisor when she begins her shift. Then tell her you'd like a new nurse, and list the reasons why.

If there is an incompetent nurse on staff, you need to bring it to someone's attention. Don't feel bad, or worry about being considered difficult.

Ask to speak to the charge nurse about your situation. As a nurse myself it's my job to make a patient feel comfortable and at ease. I'm sorry your having a problem like this when you are not feeling well. Who cares if the staff considers you difficult, your a paying customer.

Congrats on the baby first of all.

I have been i the hospital A LOT, and have encountered difficult nurses. I know you don't want to be seen as difficult, but it IS your health and money. Ask for the Charge Nurse. She will be the one who is in charge of the floor nursing staff. Explain your issue. She will make arrangements to have her pulled off your care. I have done this and it WILL work. Don't feel bad about it wither. Her co-workers proabbly KNOW she is a pain. If you suffer ANY repercussions, IMMEDIATELY talk to your doctor. He/she will stop the trouble!!!

Yes you can certainly request this nurse not visit your room anymore . Each station or area should have a Q nurse or charge nurse responsible for the goings on in this areaq , find out who that is and speak openly about how you feel , remember YOU are paying for this service , Good Luck

You need to talk to the nursing supervisor and tell her the nurse makes you uncomfortable. Period. No need to explain or go into detail; you are paying them for a service and you are the boss in addition to being the patient. Also tell your Dr when he visits. Make sure they keep her away from you, you don't need added stress form some idiot nurse with an attitude.

I believe that if this nurse is unprofessional then you need to take it to the person in charge of her. I had one of those and I was only in hospital for 2 days. 4 weeks of having to deal with her? Ask for someone else.