Do you need to seal beef before putting it into a crock pot/slow cooker?

I always seal the beef in a pan before putting it into the crock pot (slow cooker) with the sauce etc. But today i completely forgot and i've put it straight into the pot and only just realised 3 hrs after turning it on. Will it still be ok to eat or will it not cook/taste right?

Thx

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

no you don't have to seal it... that is the beauty of a crock pot...

I put mine in with a packet of Lipton's onion soup mix and water. leave it for the day and when I get home from work I add the potatoes... when they are about done I add the veggies (can of corn, greenbeans, and mixed veggies) that is it. and the next day I take the left overs and add some pace picante sauce and a can of tomatoes or tomato sauce. and tear the roast up into bite size pieces, now it is stew!!! and my kids don't know that it is left overs!

• Bigdog
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Well,, have no fear. The old idea of searing a piece of meat to seal in the juices and flavor is a farce! The only way to temporarily seal in the meat is to leave the skin on. And then you would need to cook the entire animal without cleaning.

It is a scientific fact that searing does not in any way seal anything. The only thing it does is cook the outside first.

So your roast should be just fine.

Source(s): Been there, done that!
  • 1 decade ago

if by seal you mean sear, then no, you don't need to sear it. It tastes a bit better if it is seared, but if you're making a soup or a stew with lots of veggies/sauce, you can hardly teal the difference.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No you don't have to. I never have. I put in all that I want and turn it on and walk away. This is the beauty of the crockpot, simple and dependable. Put it on low all day and come home from work with dinner already made.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It will still be fine but you're right, it has better flavour if you seal the beef beforehand, and a better colour for the juices.

• 1 decade ago

You have to get whatever you're cooking boiling before adding to the slow cooker, hence you've got it up to a high temperature already and 'cos the slow cooker only runs on the minimum of energy it carries on the heat that was there to begin with, obviously not at boiling point.

• Sheryl
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i've stopped this part of the process as i've realised theres no difference in the finished dish.toss it all in and go out for the day ,that is the whole ide of a slow cooker,

• 1 decade ago

No you don't. I was misled for years by recipes that told me to sear meat before cooking, but found that's it's all a load of rubbish. It comes out better and less fatty if you don't.

• 1 decade ago

Nope, no need to seer the meat. I never do, and I have used the crockpot for ages and have cooked almost every type of meat there is in there; with no seering.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It will be fine...sealing would have improved the taste and possibly the texture....it will be fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.