Hepatitis C - Question.?

Ok here is my situation. Me and my husband have been together for 8 years. We seperated for a year in 2005. We got back together in 2006. A short time later he turned himself into jail to take care of some warrents. He had to serve a year. This was last year. During this time. I went to my doctors for some asthma... show more Ok here is my situation. Me and my husband have been together for 8 years. We seperated for a year in 2005. We got back together in 2006. A short time later he turned himself into jail to take care of some warrents. He had to serve a year. This was last year. During this time. I went to my doctors for some asthma problems etc. My doctor noticed through a blood test that my liver work was abnormal. He tested me for hepatitis and Diabetes. I did not have either, just fatty liver from gaining weight. so long story short...husband gets out of jail all is well. Then he has to have surgery this past week well they did blood work on him and found that he has hepatitis C. Now I am worried. Could he have had this for a long time and not given it to me? Or is this something he contracted recently? I have asked him but he swears up and down he does not know. I know he never used needles and drugs ( needles scare him). I need answers here. He is still in the hospital so I don't know much else.
Update: He has had a few blood transfusions recently ( In December 2007 due to internal bleeding and then recently this month due to loss of blood during stomach surgery)