Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 decade ago

Name Jezebel??

My question is why people think Jezebel is a bad name, I am a christian and I know who was Jezebel in the bible, but I mean people shouldn't think it is a bad name because it doesn't mean all the people that are named Jezebel are bad. For example: Let say Anna is a criminal, would all the Anna in the worl criminals??

Tell me what do you think!

Favorite Answer

I love it-- it does, however have that "bad" name thing going on. Who cares though--

Good luck!

• Charli Rae5 years agoReport

The names Daliah and Desiree are known as bad girls in the bible and those names are everywhere! I am contemplating naming my baby this if its a girl. There is also no scripture evidence that Jezebel was ever unfaithful or a whore, the called her that because of what she worshiped.

It has a bad rap because not only was Jezebel a whore, but people in today's society also refer to loose women as "Jezebel's" as a result. And I think Jezebel from the bible is a little more well known than Anna who knocked off a liquor store in Cincinnati.

There are thousands of names out there. Why choose a name you already know has a negative connotation.

I like the name Jezebel.

Know what? I love the name, and I feel exactly the same as you do. BTW, If little Jezebel hates her name, you could call her Jess, Jessa, Jazzy, etc. I'd use it. Too pretty of a name to waste.

It has a bad connotation, and like it or not, it has social ramifications. That's just the way it is.

If you want, go ahead and name your daughter after a biblical floozy...your daughter will thank you for it when she and her peers are old enough to know who the biblical Jezebel is. And when I say thank, I don't mean in a good way...

I think it's an awful name - sorry.

RE: the Anna thing. I despise the names Mel and Crystal. Why? Because every Mel and Crystal I have met have been b*tches. So yes, every time I hear those names I cringe.

In the same way, if I heard some poor child called Jezebel I would instantly think of a lady of loose morals.

Jezebel is famous though. This criminal called Anna isn't famous. People generally don't name their children the same things as historically bad people, ie Adolf, Pol Pot, Fidel, Judas, Beelzebub.. you get the picture.

I agree 100% with you. Jezebel is a beautiful name dispite what the bible says. You are right....if we all followed that we wouldn't here the name Joseph (Stallan), Ted (Bundy), OJ...just kidding! Go with your heart and good luck!

some poeple like to take names to high levels of thought and meaning.. my parents got everyone besides my younger sister out of the bible.. you really shouldn't care what people say about the name. i say if it sounds nice to you,you should pick it. and yeah it's true.. anna is a name of a criminal. so is landin, so is brittany.. and i would bet anyone who answers this question has a name of a criminals name.

i like the name.

And theres a song by iron & wine called Jezebel and i like it a lot!

• Amy

I don't read the bible, so I think Jezebel is pretty good. And I really agree with what you said.