Alejandra asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Can somebody explain how come Im still alive?

It is weird. Ok, Ive been suffering from a horrible lack of appetite for 8 years. I miss the days when food was one of the main pleasures of my life, actually to be quite honest I used to love food so much that I was constantly thinking on what I was going to eat in my next meal. Now, because of emotional issues, I am just not hungry at all. Seriously, eating has becomed kinda like washing my teeth, not enjoyable but necessary. There are days when I barely eat, days where I dont eat at all. I am just kinda amazed that I am still alive, all I do for sure is drink plenty of water, my body weight is good, I am actually a tiny bit overweight, which doesnt make sense because when I used to eat like crazy I was much more slim. Can somebody explain to me why I am still ok without much food???

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 4Him
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First of all, the lack of appetite is a symptom of something else-maybe depression, anxiety, or ????.....

Second, your body has a minimum fuel requirement. If your body does not get this vital need [minumum calories are 1200 per day] then it will switch to starvation mode. This is when every possible calorie you take in is STORED. The storage is why you are experiencing weight gain. If you hadn't been drinking the amount of water, you probably wouldn't be here today. The starvation mode is critical for you to understand, because your body will start shutting down your vital organs since it doesn't have the fuel to keep them running. This could cause permanent damage to some. Many women that have extended periods of starvation mode are unable to have children. I don't want to scare you, but to answer your question. If it were me, I would get a check up to make sure everything was okay, then I would get into a healthy eating program. I believe that one of the reasons you are not hungry is that your body is severly overwhelmed, both emotionally and physically.

There is a condition called adrenaline exhaustion that is most commonly seen in people who are experiencing periods of high stress. Let me explain. When you get stressed out, angry, or scared, your body sends a hormone called adrenaline-this is the reason that a tiny woman who's child is stuck under a car finds the strength to lift the car, or an injured person can walk/ crawl for miles to get help. Well, when you get a burst of adrenaline, it causes your body to use much more energy, and when it wears off, your energy level crashes. Every time you do this, you crash harder, and longer until your body can't produce enough adrenaline to keep your body functioning at the necessary energy levels. If this sound like you, I recommend talking to your doctor, as he will help you figure out the best plan to fix it. You should know that exercise, diet, sleep, and relaxation are very important. Exercise will help you work off stress and depression, and may even help your appetite to return. Diet supports your metabolism and proper adrenaline health. What you eat can also fight depression, stress, and keep your energy levels stable-which promotes healthy appetite, healthy mental outlook, and even ward off heart disease and diabetes. Sleep is a tricky one, as too much or too little can cause problems everywhere else. And relaxation is a MUST for stressful periods. I don't care if it's only a hot shower, or walking to the mailbox and looking at the clouds [hopefully you can manage more than that], you absolutely have to have a few minutes to think about nothing, anyone outside your situation, or to pray/ meditate. I know it sounds CRAZY, but if you are thinking inward, find someone [at least 1 person] who is having a hard time [not in your situation], and send them a thinking of you card. I guarantee you will immediately feel good. I will pray for you. Please just double check with the doctor. At least you won't have to worry about it anymore!

Source(s): nutritionist and concerned mom of 3
  • 1 decade ago

I dont know why this happend but im the same way. There are some days where i havent ate anything at all, i cant even rember the last time i felt hungry. And i usually dont even want to even try to eat something untill aroung 5 or 6 in the evening.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the body needs only a little fuel to keep it going. If you are going for ages without food then your metabolism winds down i.e your body needs less.

It may also be happening that you are eating higher calorie foods instead of 3 main meals per day, hence you dont lose weight!?

• 1 decade ago

The only rational explanation is that you, sir, are a zombie. Try to think back to 8 years ago. Was there a severe car crash? Or perhaps a man in your neighborhood had a heart attack. That man was you, and you are now one of the undead.

As it is extremely gauche to dine on your family's brains, I recommend stocking up on calf brain. Perhaps that will suit your new zombie appetite better.

Source(s): Night of the Living Dead I & II, 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because we are taught that humans need to overeat to be healthy. People seriously eat way more than they need to.

Sorry to hear about your emotional problems. Make sure you at least take a multivitamin. It might help with your depression which is not an emotional problem but a physical one.

• Gail
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It could be two things. You could be astral projecting which ill include information in a link for you to read some more about that, or I've heard many people say that they're able to travel out of body, you may be doing this. I imagine your mom would be freaked out lol.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

wow i am going through the same exact thing. i'm in so much emotional distress that eating doesn't cross my mind at all.. but i'm still at a healthy weight and i used to love food too. but because i'm so stressed out i just don't feel hungry.

maybe it's stress for you as well.

• 1 decade ago

Well if youy rarely eat and then you eat once more, since your metabolism slowed down, it will tyr to hang on to the bits of calories you take in, therefore, storing fat and gaining weight

• 1 decade ago

You're either eating very calorie dense food, or you have a crazy metabolism. I'd personally get that checked out.

• 1 decade ago

1. water weight 2. your body was used to eating more before, now that you're not eating much, you're gonna gain weight! EAT GODDD!!!! FOOD IS YUMMYYYY

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.