I was kind of sure about wanting divorce from my husband, but am I heading for a bigger nightmare?

My husband and I have been separated for almost 3 months...we had an extremely volatile marriage, violent fights, arguing, police being called, arrests....abandonment... its hard to beleive but no cheating, which would have been better then some of the things that happened .......we never stuck with counselling... show more My husband and I have been separated for almost 3 months...we had an extremely volatile marriage, violent fights, arguing, police being called, arrests....abandonment... its hard to beleive but no cheating, which would have been better then some of the things that happened .......we never stuck with counselling which may or may not have helped...but i had enough & most importantly I had to protect my boys from this s***t. I live far away from family, 3,000 miles...so I depend on my husband to watch the kids while I work....its not that hard now, my husband & I haven't found other people yet but am I heading for a bigger nightmare...the posts on answers scare me. dealing with custody issues...ex husband's girlfriend/wife causing problems...kids starting to side w/ one parent over the other....as bad as our marriage was, these things seem horrible too...a part of me(a very small part) is thinking of maybe trying to make our marraige work with extensive counselling....
Update: Could counselling ever help or resolve the worst of the worst marital problems....deep anger, resentment, verbal abuse, physical fights, bad memories, bitterness, mistrust.
Update 2: i'm afraid of things just getting worse....should i just run as fast as I can.
8 answers 8