Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

TO ANY/ALL MOTORCYCLE RIDERS,I have never rode a motorcycle before,but I find them very fascinating and erotic

I plan on purchasing one this summer.any suggestions to what kind of starter bike i should get and do they have classes that teach you how to ride or should i just go to a empty parking lot and practice it myself. i am nervous to some extent,but this is part of living out my fantasies.please!give me some good advice riders..thanks!

Favorite Answer

I started motorcycling about 3 months ago.

First and foremost, take an MSF course. I speak from experience; I took my bike out before MSF and I low sided off on my very first turn (grabbed brake in a panic). I had a 23 year old bike in perfect condition until I got cocky and thought riding a motorcycle would be "like riding a bike." If I hadn't made such a poor error in judgment, my stator cover wouldn't be scuffed and left rear turn signal not being held on by tape. I got REALLY lucky and the bike slid 10-12 feet to a stop, with me falling relatively gently on the pavement. Scraped knee and damaged ego.

As for my ride, I got REALLY lucky and got a hold of a vintage 1985 Honda VF500F Interceptor. Only 14k miles on the odometer and 900 dollars for it. I got it in PRISTINE condition, absolutely immaculate for it's age (Until, as mentioned, 'I' happened to it).

I have to say I have no regrets about my bike choice. Some things I like about it you might want to consider are the seat height (can you reach the ground comfortably) and ergonomics (is the riding position tolerable?), is it something you like cosmetically *AND* mechanically? If it lacks respectable power, doesn't sound nice, looks like a booger with two wheels, etc. well you just won't be happy in the long run.

The seat height on my VF500 allows me to easily reach both feet flat on the ground (with riding boots on) and I'm about 5'8. I love the riding position too, I sit nice and upright allowing comfortable operation for as long as I choose to ride (Longest I've done is 6 hours with a 5 min break at the 3 hr mark, afterwards felt like I had just spent the day in a recliner).

Since it's a V-Four the motor runs silky smooth, no intense vibrations or jitters like you might get with other bikes. The high RPM motor provides PREDICTABLE, smooth power; if you hit a pot hole and blip the throttle, you aren't going to launch into a power wheelie. In fact, it doesn't have enough power to deliberately wheelie without the clutch (only 66 peak HP that comes late in the band and it's a hefty 450 pounds for such small displacement compared to today's bikes), very newbie friendly! You just have to remember to avoid lugging (shifting too early) the motor for the sake of mechanical stress and safety (you may need the power, my bike likes cruising at 7.5 grand, shifting at 10).

Gets about 40 Mpg. It's unique because it's red/white/blue with a quarter fairing (the engine is exposed, VERY uncommon on newer sport type bikes). It's eye catching, a piece of history and most importantly, *I* love it. If you aren't head over heels in love with a bike, you're going to get bored of it quick and want something better (depending on your finances, that may or may not be OK).

Some people buy a junker for the sake of destroying in the name of learning. Others, like me choose a respectable bike that can take the abuses of a learning curve and still be fun afterwards!

Granted, vintage bikes can offer huge savings in the initial costs, in the long run parts availability will probably put an end to its service life (A day I fear myself). That and many vintage bikes need work from the start (mine needed new carburetor boots, carb cleaning, tires etc.) I myself am mechanically inclined and have previous automotive/4 stroke engine experience; your ability/willingness to maintain/repair the bike yourself is going to affect whether or not a vintage bike is a good option for you. Fuel injected bikes are going to have less maintenance than carbureted bikes, but when something goes wrong the fix isn't usually cheap or novice user serviceable.

I'm probably missing many factors that should come into play before purchasing a bike (I bought mine rather impulsively in a sort of "love at first sight" sense). Though, just make sure the bike is something YOU like that meets YOUR needs and YOU are prepared for (in terms of riding skill, mechanical skill, power, finances, level of responsibility, etc.)

Accept the fact that you WILL fall off at some point while moving (like I did), you WILL drop the bike (first time I swung my leg over the bike when I got it home it fell on a sprinkler spigot and punched a hole in the right side panel). Be willing to have bad things like that happen, you don't WANT them to happen, but accept them as highly probable.

Oh, and enjoy the ride; make sure to wave to other motorcyclists you see on the road (UNLESS operating conditions make it unsafe to do so, such as in a turn or navigating dense traffic). Don't be like me and be a dweeb giving a full palm wave either, learn to extend your left arm in a super suave 'peace' sign.

Keep the rubber side down!

• R

In my state, Ohio, they have a state approved motorcycle training course that is extremely cheap and they supply everything you need including the cycle! After you complete the course, they give you a certificate to go and get your license and you dont have to take the sometimes stress inducing skills test. A small street bike, like the honda rebel 250, is a good choice for a first bike and you will be able to get back most of what you paid for it when you're ready to upgrade. Another very good idea is if you know anyone with a dirt bike that would let you scoot around in the yard or something to get an initial feel for the operations. Dirtbikes are light and easy to handle and grass or dirt is MUCH softer than pavement. Have fun and stay vertical!

If you've never ridden, don't buy a brand new bike. Trust me - it's not a matter of if you drop it, it's a matter of when. 1) Take a MSF or equivalent course first. 2) Sit on a bunch of bikes to size them up. Don't hesitate to ask the guys in the bike shops for advice and help - you may need two of them to hold bikes upright to see how a bike fits. 3) Budget for and make sure to wear your safety gear all the time. Buy a used learner bike in what ever type you want - if you want something like the interceptor, buy something used and smaller. If you've never ridding a cycle before, how do you know you will be comfortable on "lean over the tank" bike? I know that I can't do it - I have wrist problems that flare up in 15 minutes of a sport bike - took me over a week to get the pain in my wrist to go away. My cruiser bike does not cause me wrist problems and it's better on my lower back too.

• awftx

Start out with a mid size bike..something like a Harley sportster or a Honda shadow 600... If you go with a small bike like a 250..... you'll out grow that bike the first year... THEN take a riding course...and, if you lay a bike down (which is not uncommon, just getting started) it's not YOUR bike that gets the dents.... the courses are worth every penny.... at that, if you want more practice, then go to a large empty parking lot..... but, honestly consider a mid sze bike..... I have a friend that bought a smll bike, and by the middle of that summer, was kick herslf..... but had to wait until the end of the following summer (cause she spent her money on the smaller bike) before she could up grade......

Start out with a smaller bike like a 250 cc engine. Call some motorcycle dealers and ask them if they are aware of anybody that teaches a motorcycle safety class

1

250 honda rebel. 500$ 883 sporster 6to 7 000$ not to ohard to figure that one out. also i suggest an endouro! looks like a motocross bike drives like a motocrossbike has a less agressive tire and has signals for street legal. they r a riot. used maybe a good one for a grand. this way you get to learn on and off highway riding at the same time. watch out for old dudes in cadillac's they will kill you.

it would be a good idea to take a safety class can find one by googling motorcycle safety class __ your state in the blank. and if money is an issue then. well even if it's not still smart to buy a cheap old beater so when you drop it, no big deal. http://craigslist.com/ . and don't go bigger than a 600cc good luck and have fun.

I would do 2 things.

First..take a cold shower lol just kidding..

But seriously SECOND..watch the videos below and NO they are not those kind lol.

Up to 250cc as for what kind thats a matter of taste

You can get info on the MSF class at http://www.msf-usa.org/

They provide the bikes for training.