Do Christians understand the concept of "double-think"?

Or would doing so only jeopardize so many of their deeply held beliefs?

It religion really about finding truth or finding the comfort it provides?

Won't we usually only find what we know how to look for?

Is the discomfort found in uncertainty the force which drives us to seek answers?

Does religion work to treat the sources of ignorance (lack of experience/education) or rather the symptoms (fear of discomfort)?

Does the church exploit these needs for certainty and "truth" in order grow and spread their "cure for ignorance" even further into the masses, providing them with even more power to the same?

If the focus was really on helping the individual find truth, why is it so heavily focused on being the ONLY valid source of truth rather than another valid means to discover it?

I guess business is business, but personally, if it's comfort I'm seeking, I would sooner give my money to a psychologist because at least they're up-front and honest about what they're providing and why.

Best Answer

I give mine to the local womens shelter, and I have enough experience to be convinced in my faith.

Source(s): jcms
  • ?

"double think"? this is a term i've been grasping the last few months. we are not all one thing are we? everything we know or feel comes into play for one reason or another. if we didn't know pain we would burn our arm off when we touched the stove. if we didn't know fear we would do things like play in the middle of the street... nothing is all good or all bad and the terms evil and good are all within the eye of the beholder...

by experience there is no question in my mind that there is a god of some sort. the details of It can be debated and the reality of it may be defier from person to person. just by the eviedence of the physical universe we must conclude a very complex/ devirse entity. imho, no one that speaks with honesty is right or wrong therefore it is impossible for one veiw to bash another. it's not my job to judge but rather to understand.

i've studied most of the known religions to one degree or the other and have been a fan of theology for sometime now. religion in general and within its proper place fuels belief and a "good place" within the human being. this is good however, to me the truth is important... if it doesn't do or feed something what good is it?

yes, if we were 100% in a comfort zone we would not do things that need to be done or make progress. the friction we encounter in life doesn't need to be man made because the world seems to breed problems...

religion has its place however, the human make up is more than spiritual. we live and interact in a material/ physical universe. the word "balance" stands out in my mind. a healthy balance is the key to a successful life. without doubt the god or divine influence has created us in a physical element. we must sink or swim.

yes, there some holes in christianity in my opinion. for starters it breeds dependance, the need to scapegoat, a pass the buck mentality, herd thinking and the potencial of a onesided veiw that is dangerous for those that don't go along or swallow whatever they are being fed...

i don't believe that the knowledge in the bible is absolute however, there are some spiritual truths in it.

lol, religion shouldn't be a buisness in the strict sense but it has become that. all you can do is be aware and watchout for it. buildings to gather in cost money. books to read cost money to print. there is money involved in one aspect however, some are geared toward it being a buisness. it's easy to tell if someone is "feeding off you" rather than "building you..." christian churches shouldn't be tax shelters. thats unfair to the rest of us. if they make profit it should be taxed not that i'm a big fan of being unconstitutionally taxed!

i'll say this again, some use religion as a "control chip." in my opinion IF SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE CONTROLLED THEY SHOULD BE CONTROLLED. IF THEY DON'T NEED TO BE CONTROLLED AND ARE ACTING IN A MANNER THAT ISN'T VIOLATING THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS, LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!

• The question is...do YOU?

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT DEEPLY HELD BELIEFS?

DO YOU HAVE A RELIGION? WHAT IS YOUR RELIGION ABOUT? CHRISTIANS DON'T OWN THE MARKET ON RELIGION.

YOU'RE MAKING AN ASSUMPTION ABOUT SOMETHING OF WHICH YOU KNOW NOTHING.

WHAT DISCOMFORT IS THAT? I DON'T FEAR DISCOMFORT...OR DEATH, FOR THAT MATTER.

I DON'T KNOW. WHAT DOES YOUR RELIGION WORK TO TREAT?

I DON'T GO TO CHURCH. WHAT DOES YOUR CHURCH DO? THEY'RE ALL DIFFERENT. YOU MAY BE RIGHT ABOUT THIS REGARDING SOME CHURCHES. BUT CHURCHES AREN'T RUN BY GOD, LOL. YOU MAKE LIKE GOD CONDONES THEM ALL.

IT'S NOT. THERE ARE A FEW WHO FEEL THIS WAY, I THINK, BUT I DON'T FIND THE MAJORITY TO FEEL THIS WAY. OH, AND CHRISTIANS AREN'T THE ONLY ONES WHO FEEL THIS WAY.

GIVE YOUR MONEY TO WHOEVER YOU WANT. I DON'T GIVE MY MONEY TO ANYONE IN THE "NAME OF GOD". HE DOESN'T NEED IT. IT'S THE MEN WHO RUN THE ORGANIZATIONS WHO ARE NOT UP-FRONT.

PLEASE DO NOT BLAME GOD FOR THE CHARACTER DEFECTS OF MAN.

• Ethel

I know you won't like my answer. But God has special dispensation from human rules. "Appropriate punishment" is highly subjective and arbitrary. Because God has given life, he has the prerogative of taking it as he wishes. I know that this is difficult to comprehend from a human perspective- but not everything in the universe is logical. EDIT: Yes, it may be constituted as a special pleading fallacy. I am sure you would like to believe it is. But is it really a double standard? If we were comparing apples and apples, then yes, by all means. But we aren't. We are comparing peanut butter and jelly here. God is not a man. He is not a woman. He is not a person. He is Holy. He is the creator of the universe. Although he has a right to be cruel given our sinful nature, he isn't. Saying that God kills people is dysphemistic- and as such, it is logically fallacious. God is not a man. He is the giver of life. Ergo, he can take it. We're not his pet science project. But we are at his mercy. He is the one in charge, and there is nothing we can do to change it.

I guess you see conspiracy everywhere huh. lol It isn't because of one thing or another, it is a lot of different things that drive people to feel comfort and seek the "truth" Science provides for many people, the same things that religion provides for others. Ignorance isn't caused by religion, I am pretty sure that has alot to due with plain old genetics. lol

Eyes wide shut and all that?

People can convince themselves of many things. And there are valid psychological ailments. Religion, however, is not one of them, although it can and has been used as a crutch.

http://www.cmha.ca/bins/content_page.asp?cid=3-105

here's a list of symptoms of psychosis.

I do not recommend that you diagnose anyone using this or any list. Diagnosis should be done by a certified practicing psychologist or psychiatrist, and not by anyone on Yahoo Answers. These symptoms could be experienced by people simply because of our high-stress society rather than any religious reason.

Is there one universal and accepted definition of "truth"?

Is "truth" in science the same as "truth" in history?

Is "truth" only relative, or is it absolute for all people and in all possible situations and fields of endeavor and research?

What I find to be the "truth", someone else will find to be a lie, and vice versa.

Juries bear this out all across this nation every week.

An Orwellian term.

"To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which canceled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself -- that was the ultimate subtlety; consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink."

We must all be careful to never find ourselves in a position such as this. Christian and otherwise.

Brightest Blessings

the church is about money and numbers, dude. You know as a Baptist I resent not getting holy wine and bread like Catholics...and a nice slice of Gruyere to go with it...could be a little church picnic with a green salad, cold chicken and some homemade milles feuilles for dessert..

Double speak. Is that anything like hocus pocus? Or hocus pocus, 3 speed ca-docus?

Logical fallacy? Lie even according to their own writing?

Almost ALL supposedly Christian belief is actually pagan some only barely proof texted by the Bible (rest none at all).

I'm a Christian (one of Jehovah's Witnesses) with several degrees and academic credentials and I don't buy religions bull.

Debbie debbiepittman@yahoo.com