Mormons, can you eat food that contains alcohol?

Something I've googled up during the last minute:

The prohibition of "wine or strong drink" is widely interpreted as a blanket prohibition of all alcoholic beverages, regardless of the level of alcoholic content of the drink. The revelation suggests that making barley-based mildly alcoholic beverages (such as beer) may be permissible,[15] and as recently as 1901, Apostles Brigham Young, Jr. and John Henry Smith argued that the revelation did not prohibit beer.[29] Today, however, there are few Latter-day Saints who view the consumption of such drinks as permitted by the Word of Wisdom.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_Wisdom#Alcoho...

Mr. Hopscotch,

If you ever tried these foods (wine chicken, kahula pie, brandy cake) you can taste the alcohol. If not, why put it in?

Favorite Answer

Oh that could be a gray area. Many people will say if the alcohol was burned off in the cooking process. Personally, I try and avoid foods with alcohol in it for a couple reasons, I'm not sure about the cooking process, and two I'm not used to the taste so whenever I happened to taste something I found it weird tasting. My friend grew up eating beer brats, you boil the brats in bear before grilling. She wanted to share this tradition with my husband and myself, I was fine with the idea, but my husband who used to drink, said he didn't want the stuff in his house. He believes that when you buy it even for cooking or other purposes you are still supporting the alcohol industry. And after he said that I tend to agree with him.

Here's something else to think about:

Growing up in a prominent LDS area, I remember a girl with the most beautiful hair, I later heard that she washed it in beer. All of a sudden it became a big debate, because a parent had to be buying it for her. She wasn't drinking it, but the alcohol was in the house, and her Dad might buy a case who was the Bishop that would be weird. We were taught to try and avoid all appearances of evil.

My child and nephew once ruined Grandma's carpet, and their clothes with acrylic paints, after some research it was discovered that Vodka was a great stain remover. The only way to purchase it was to go to the state liquor store. My sister saw no harm in purchasing this "cleaning" agent, and went and purchased some, but made it clear to the checker that it was for stain removing purposes. As she left the building she realized she was in her ward boundaries, she needed more but hasn't returned, but it did the job.

I think that you in the end as an answer to this question need to make the call spiritually for yourself, and others need not judge.

• Betty

It just something that through our Prophets- like Thomas S. Monson- God has asked us not to do, such as drink coffee, tea, chew, drink alcohol, etc. These are to protect us. Our religion is based a lot off of faith. This is because we don't always know the answers, but we have been told that they will protect us. Maybe not everyone will get a disease from drinking too much and tea might help someone somewhere, but for the majority it might not. For example; Joseph Smith asked the men not to chew before ANYONE knew that it was bad for you. Also, our prophets asked us to start saving and to prepare our 72 hour kits (like a survival kit) waaaaaay before the recession. Because of this the people who did start early are now financially set or are ready for whatever will hit next. We had Faith to follow our prophet and because of it we are now blessed. Tea sometimes does help with sicknesses but we will live without them! We don't need them to live so why put ourselves through that when we don't have to? Maybe not everything in our religion makes sense now but we believe it will someday. If we are wrong, then what did it hurt? Our bodies are clean and healthy. Yes some might have drank tea and they are fine, but we are just as healthy without it. There are other types of medicine to help us. Those who choose to drink it simply made a choice. We all do. (I used the example of tea a lot but the same goes for most of the foods and drinks that we are opposed to)

In a revelation known as, "The Word of Wisdom," we learn that alcohol is not good for man to consume. Because of this, I don't eat food containing it.

Up until recently my understanding was that alcohol evaporates during cooking, but I found out this was not correct. Now I am careful not to even eat foods that were cooked with alcohol.

Yes we can. We are advised not to becasue we will like the tast of alcohol and want to drink it. We are also advised not to eat it if the alcohol is not cooked out but in the end it all comes down to is your agence to choose as you will.

No our Prophet from God founder Joseph Smith Jr had holy prophecies from God, and we Mormon's must obey commandments from God that came through the holy prophet Joseph Smith, and we must not eat anything with alcohol, and hopefully we will be worthy enough to be Gods and Goddesses after we die. God told us through Joseph Smith that we can be Gods and Goddesses and we definitely don't want to throw it away because of Alcohol. I thank God that our prophet from God Joseph Smith Junior restored the Bible !!!!!!!!! Thank God for Joseph Smith, and a sincere thanks for restoring the Gospel, our church is the only true church on the face of the earth. And no we cannot eat anything containing alcohol.

Also I don't think the temple leadership would be happy when I am doing baptisms for the dead at the Mormon Temple.

And i am glad that God told Joseph Smith about baptism for the dead it is a awesome experience :) Type baptism for the dead on Google it is great.

And even though alot of medical doctors say a little alcohol each day is good for the human body, i will not do it, because of what Joseph Smith said, Joseph Smith is the greatest person since Jesus Christ, most people i know were born Mormon, and so was i, we do what our parents told us, and i love my mom and whatever she has said about Mormonism since i was a baby is true, i feel it in my heart, everything Joseph Smith said is FROM GOD :)

(Keep in mind that at any time a new prophet can have a new prophecy and of course we could possibly be able consume alcohol if the new prophet says the prophecy is from God) Just like we didn't allow black people into our priesthood until the late 1970's it took a prophecy from one of our Mormon prophet's to lift the bad on refusing people the priesthood based because they were black, and banning Black's was from God to,Mormon prophecies are 100 % accurate.

So currently the ban on alcohol is 100 % accurate we can't consume it, and like i said God might decide through our new prophet that it's ok to drink now. Who knows, God seems to change his mind in our religion. God waiting such a long time to allow black's into our priesthood is a perfect example.

Source(s): LDS and Christian !

Ther is no hard and fast guideline on it. It's kind of like Coca cola, it's left to our interpretation and conscience. I personally like all that stuff you mentioned, as well as beer braised ribs and stuff like that.

It's all in the interpretation, and we are expected to use our own good judgment and faith on many subjects, including this one.

I might eat food where the alcohol is cooked out. When the food is cooked, the alcohol is cooked out.

Personally I don't cook with wine.

If all the alcohol is cooked out of it it's fine.

Having been married to a Mormon at one time. NO. They also don't drink any beverages with caffeine or eat anything with harmful substances in it. To them the body is the Lord's TEMPLE and you don't mistreat it in any way.

• I don't eat things made with alcohol because I don't like the taste. example, CAMPELLS makes a soup with shrimp and I love shrimp but its also made with wine and it makes me ill. so no I don't, but I don't like alcohol so its not a stretch for me to avoid it

Source(s): sister M