Elly asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My jack russell terrior wont stop running and jumping up against my back door?

Please help my jack russell terrior is four years old and she jumps against the back door all the time.

Iv tried putting water there, locking her in the bathroom for a while and simply telling her no.

Nothing i try is working.

Please help.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

as you should noe jack russells need highly amount of exercise and playtime in comparison to other dogs. therefore she prob wants to go out, my past jack russell dog did the same. obviously she wants to go out. dont let her see outside, when she sees it, it prob triggers her desires to go out. but when you actually let it out, teach it some GOOD manners. tell her to sit, and then open the back door a slight inch, if she dares to scratch and push out, close it! then say NO! tell her to sit again, wait till she sits, give her a treat when shes done the right thing. open the door a slight inch again, and keep repeating these steps until she noes she can only go out if she sits and waits for your command to let her out, and not let her have a habit of rushing out the door. jack russells dont have much patience so you must have 10 x the patience to teach her not to scratch or rush out.

• Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Jack Russells are great dogs when they are in the right circumstances. Apartments are not ideal living conditions for one though unless you are going to be home a lot and have tons of time to take it out to exercise. They seriously have sooo much energy that you need a few hours a day to be out and about with them. Even then they will come home and want to play all day and night....they never stop!!!!!! I have a jack russell and I absolutely adore the breed. They need a lot of training and activity to keep them busy. They are extremely smart but will constantly test you. It is like having a kid that is how much attention they want and need...hahah they never leave you alone.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

JRT's are a very active somewhat high-strung breed, they need plenty of exercise. Where does the door go to? Outside? If so, I would try taking her out more. The best direct way to stop the jumping is to keep a lead on her (leash) and when she starts jumping step on the lead leaving just enough room for her to sit up straight. When she tries to jump she will be stoped by the lead. Once she stops jumping or sits, praise her and give a treat. Repeat this until she stops jumping.

Good Luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

She needs to get some exercise, go to the bathroom, or she might be pissed about some change in the house.

Has something changed? A jealous rival?

Try siting in front of the door the next tim she acts like that and maybe she will give you a hint to what is bothering her.

Dogs are allot like us, do not under estimate them!

Good luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John S
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

She is a dog welcome to owning one. They always do that as a means of communication. She could be saying she wants to go for a walk or play or whatever. But she'll never stop because that's what all dogs do. BTW the shock collar would just be mean on so many levels they don't know any better.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Have you thought about taking her out to potty and regularly exercising her?

These are active breeds and require intensive mental and physical stimulation each day. Are you providing that? Locking her in a small room isn't going to help it will make it worse.

• Rebel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Fence the yard & put in a doggie door.

Problem solved.

Good Luck.

• 1 decade ago

get a collar tha shocks the dog slightly when you push the button. great for training

• CoCo
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

does she have to go out?

• 1 decade ago

Does she have to go to the bathroom?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.