Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

how do u write a sci-fi story or fantasy?

im really good at writting teen books but i want to appeal to a greater addience. i havent read a lot of sci fi and fantasy books so im kinda confused on how its supposed to work.

Favorite Answer

With a Sci Fi story, it is mostly about projection. Sci Fi is speculative fiction. You take an issue from today and project it into the future. For instance, global warming. What will the world be like in 3008? Sci Fi writers are always scouring newspapers and magazines in search of little articles they can turn into stories.

Fantasy is harder than most people believe. It is about creating a new world. But that world has to be complete. It has to have government, sources of food, currency, all the things any world would have. Most Sci Fi writers spend months first just establishing that world and setting it up. They put together a Concordance so they can remember what they have written - the rules, the characters etc. Otherwise they end up with plot holes you can fly planes through - which is what happens with most novices.

Check out Anne Mc Caffrey. Her planet Pern is the most detailed and realistic fantasy world I have ever seen. She details everything. It is a complete society. Of course, she has spent years and years working on it. It didn't just happen haphazardly. She didn't just sit down and write something like "Wakili ran through the cold rain" and take it from there. The detail is astonishing.

Pax-C

As a science fiction writer, I'd have to say a lot of what I write is character based. In other words, what is happening in the plot, to the character through character interaction, could happen here and now. The fun part is, with sci-fi you have as many tools at your disposal as you'd like to make things interesting. You can show some deep human things through alien situations. It's almost like shattering a mirror -- but you can still see the image behind the neat patterns.

A huge obstacle to overcome with genres like sci-fi and fantasy is avoiding the cliche and keeping your characters at the forefront. Things like "hyperdrive" and "blaster pistol" etc. etc. It's easy to avoid making your own means of interstellar conveyance or laser guns (or perhaps even laser guns is a cliche in and of itself), but don't do it! The best way to do that is to be familiar with sci-fi's origins, but since you aren't, do yourself the favor of having a fun cheesy sci-fi movie night and rent all the classics -- day the earth stood still, forbidden planet, day of the triffids, 2001, Soylent Green, the old star wars and star trek movies, etc., there are a million more.

There are plenty of books you can read too including the Martian Chronicles, I Robot (try to get one without Will Smith on the cover...I bet that will require ebay...), 2001, War of the Worlds, to name a few. There are also a million really great short stories such as Cold Equations and Harrison Bergeron.

I'm not as familiar with fantasy, but I'd assume the idea behind what I'm saying doesn't change. Good luck to you, don't feel intimidated to write in a new genre, I think you'll have a lot of fun with it.

The things that makes sci-fi or fantasy are the same. They both have common threads that weave tales of sci-fi or fantasy stories. Since you already write stories you should also be able to write sci-fi or fantasy that contains a story (which excellent sci-fi and fantasy does). So here goes what makes writing sci-fi or fantasy what it is:

Science fiction is largely based on writing entertainingly and rationally about alternate possibilities in settings that are contrary to known reality. These include things that take us from our current reality into another reality and mix current reality with another reality. The new reality is shaped by time or place, contradicts the known laws of nature, and discovers and exposes new scientific principles or technology. This may include travel, robots, computers, or new and different political or social systems. For example, things could happen in the future, a time line could be changed where the historical past contradicts the know facts or creates a new time line, robots or computers make a social statement of some kind, outer space and aliens are encountered. You get the picture. In fantasy, new worlds or settings are created and are generally based on our imagination but basic take us from our known reality into a new one. Some how, we must get from where we are to the new reality. That is generally your lead in.

One of my latest books that contain some sci-fi (see http://www.lulu.com/dpetersenwb where I store my ruff drafts) in “Nevada Tales” puts current reality mixing with things that happened near where I grew up in Eastern Nevada.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your quest.

Do you know anything about sci-fi or fantasy? What books do you usually write? I see why you may be trying to branch out to these genres but I think you should stick with what your best at. I only say that because if you're like me, you don't want to sacrifice the quality of your work just to try a new genre. I do admire your search for change though.

Read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi novels. Go to your favorite bookstore and ask the rep to see which ones he or she would recommend--and start reading. This will give you direction into where you want to go with your first book.

The lazy author in me has a tendency to need delusion. except you're writing entire and unabashed area opera (or "sci-fa," because of the fact the case may be), with sci-fi, you're extraordinarily lots beholden to make your universe make some sort of scientific sense. whether what you're explaining is ninety% technobabble, it ought to be *convincing* technobabble, or you run the threat of taking your reader out of the story. If something desires explaining in a delusion tale? Magic.