Are we ever going to evolve passed this?

31 % American women report being physically or sexually abused by a husband or boyfriend at some point in their lives.

As many as 324,000 women each year experience intimate partner violence during their pregnancy.

On average, more than 3 women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends in this country every day.

I am not denying violence against men exists.

But right now, this is my question.

Favorite Answer

Those are extremely disheartening statistics. Domestic violence is a big problem and education is key to eradicating this situation, but since this is largely learned behavior, children must see positive interaction between their parents at home too for lasting change to result.

It's a monstrosity that anyone would harm another person. I say that because I've met battered men, and their abuse is a monstrosity, too.

We can't evolve; we must change. They're not quite the same thing. We don't have time for evolution, which can take eons. We need change, which we've made happen with staggering speed in recent history.

Pick good men to make new men. Speak loudly about the ones who choose the right things, and those who do the right things. Point out the good examples to the our children. Be the good example that gets pointed out.

Here's a big one: BE THE ONE WHO CALLS. I've made the call when I've heard yelling and screaming. Yup, most of the time no one presses charges and I've gotten a few dirty looks. TOO BAD. My kids won't hear the noises go unremarked, and if their stepmom gets a nuisance-call punishment of some kind, I'll take it with a razor-sharp grin.

Until these women that are victims of domestic abuse finally decide they really do have choices and take control of their own lives, the answer is an emphatic no.

There has only been one time that I was physically abused by a boyfriend and he was not boyfriend after that. It didn't matter how much he said he was sorry and would never do it again, I did not want to take the chance.

Making these abusers accountable for their actions and that means the woman needs to press charges and follow through instead of caving, and the women themselves taking steps to remove themselves and their children from a violent relationship, then and only then will things change.

My late wife was a Family Counseling and Child Development psychologist. As part of her obligations she volunteered at a shelter for battered or abused women and children. I know what you say is true.

As to whether it will ever subside or not, I would say no. There are certain salient primal motivations that apply. Being the Alpha male of a tribe once required force and I don't think we have really evolved much past that point.

A cat can be trained not to hunt birds but the instinct will always be there and it will manifest itself in another way regardless.

The only way we're ever going to evolve is to change the laws so that these men spend time in jail and get counseling. And let's not forget the women who beat the crap out of their men! I have a brother-in-law whose wife used to beat the **** out of him regularly. And for the women who won't prosecute their abusers--they're part of the problem, not the solution. I too find it sad that in 2008 we're not any more evolved as a society. This country doesn't need any more Scott Peterson's or OJ Simpson's.

I positioned the undertaking back to you... Will Democrats ever get previous the thought that "innovative" isn't continually ultimate and "classic" would not propose ignorant and unenlightened? in case you think of that political correctness is "progressed thinking" then you definately've have been given extra problems than what Republicans think of. no longer all Republicans (nor conservatives in many circumstances) stay to tell the story worry and hate. some have developed sufficient to renowned what's sturdy. in addition they have grown sufficient to renowned that basically with the aid of fact some thing is in keeping with years previous would not propose it particularly is going to be discarded. i think of that maximum American thinking has long gone down interior the final decade or 2. people do no longer truthfully think of plenty as take in sound bites from the media and regurgitate them advert nauseum (in many circumstances liberals in this one. The Warlock

How are those statistics counted? If it counts when a man has sex with his wife when his wife isn't really in the mood, then of course the statistics are going to be distorted.

Did you know that 1 in 5 marriages are sexless marriages? It's no wonder that more than 20% of men sexually "assault" (I don't think "assault" is the correct word, because it's normal for a man to want sex from his wife without her being in the mood when she deliberately refuses to give it to him for months) their wives! After marriage, women don't want sex anymore. Are you women ever going to evolve past that? Sheesh.

If wives weren't so selfish that they would starve their husbands of their sexual needs, the sexual assault level would be reduced to 1%.

Women help these genes survive. These same violent men are also the aggressive, cunning, bad boys you are attracted to and have kids with.

The meek will not inherit the earth. You wont let them.

I understand that women are being abused, but there are so many reasons mentally why women are abused. I feel that some women have low self esteem and other reasons. I wish we could get more help for women and women actually go in for help. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. Women need to speak up and get help.

• mimzy

Yes we will = if women stop living with abusers and quit enabling them by staying with them. There are places for women to go now - we know we don't have to stay in situations we are not safe in. If younger women notice that their boyfriends are over protective - too jealous - or too controlling, they should break it off and get away as soon as they can before the relationship goes too far and they are stuck with abusers.