Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

In your opinion, what are some of the worst trades in baseball history?

You can choose anything you want BESIDES the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees (for cash.) I think we can all agree that was probably the worst trade in baseball history.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Jacoby
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Red Sox trade 1B Jeff Bagwell to

Houston for RP Larry Anderson

Boston trades OF Brady Anderson and SP Curt Schilling to

Baltimore for RP Mike Boddicker

Seattle trades C Jason Varitek and SP Derek Lowe to

Boston for CL Heathcliff Schaub

San Fran trades Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano and Boof Boonzer to Minnesota for AJ Pierzinsky

The Mets trading Nolan Ryan to California

The Mets dealing Scott Kazmir to Tampa for Victor Zambrano

The Phillies dealing Ryan Sandsberg and Larry Bowa to the Cubs for Ivan DeJesus

The Dodgers dealing Pedro Mratinez to the Expos for David DeShields

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

SF Giants give:

Joe Nathan

Francisco Liriano

Boof Bonser

Twins give:

AJ Pierzynski (or however you spell it)

I think that one kinda sucked badly.

Good luck!!

Edit: I know your not a big fan of links, but here is what ESPN said were some really really bad trades.

Edit: I think #7 might interest you.

7. Mariners send Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek to Red Sox for Heathcliff Slocumb (July 31, 1997)

Lowe had a 6.96 ERA halfway through his rookie season with the Mariners before he was dealt. Since then, he's flourished with the Red Sox, first as a reliever, and this year as one of the best, if not the best, starters in the AL. He's got a lifetime ERA of 3.32; this year he's 15-5 with a 2.13 ERA. Varitek, a switch-hitting catcher, has been a solid backstop for the Red Sox; this season, coming back off a broken elbow suffered in June 2001, he's hitting .284 with eight HR and 42 RBI.

Slocumb, a veteran reliever who had been an All-Star with the Phillies in 1995 and had saved 31 games for the Red Sox in 1996, tossed only 95 innings for Seattle in 1997 and 1998, going 2-9 with 13 saves and an ERA up around 5.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The second worst was probably when the Reds traded away Frank Robinson to the Orioles for Pappas, in 1965 . The Reds "management" decided that, at 30 years old, Frank was getting too old...he went to Baltimore and won the MVP (only guy ever to win MVP in both leagues), and in 1970 helped his Orioles put the smack-down on the Reds in the World Series - at an "old" 35 years of age. By the way, Pappas played a couple more years after the trade, but was mediocre at best.

Also, the Jered Camp for Santana trade was one of the stupidest in more recent times.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, that has to be one of the worst trades of all-time, but here's a few others really bad trades (except for the second one to Orioles fans):

-Cincinnati Reds trade Christy Mathewson to the New York Giants for Amos Rusie in 1899 (Rusie never won another game)

-Reds trade Frank Robinson to the Baltimore Orioles for Milt Pappas in 1965 (Pappas goes 30-29 in two seasons with the Reds before the Reds trade him).

-Chicago Cubs trade Lou Brock to the St. Louis Cardinals for Ernie Broglio in 1964 (Broglio suffers arm problems and never regains his form).

EDIT: Thought of one more (and this one hurts big)

Orioles trade Curt Schilling, Steve Finley, and Pete Harnisch to the Houston Astros for Glenn Davis in 1991.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tones
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Giants getting C Pryzinski and some Cash from the Twins for Liriano, Joe Nathan, Boof Bonser

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm a Red Sox fan and loved that we traded Heathcliff Slocumb to Seattle for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek. Worked real well for our team, not so much for the Mariners.

• 1 decade ago

AJ is awesome but that was a horrible trade the Giants made. You have an All--Star closer in Nathan, Liriano is great, and Boof is underrated. They have to regret that! For the White Sox, I say:

Tadahito Iguchi for ONE SINGLE A PITCHER!!!

So it's an MLB player for ONE SINGLE A PITCHER!!!

We could've at least got another player out of the deal!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree with Owner that one of the worst was (well, for the Giants it was):

San Francisco Giants give:

Joe Nathan

Francisco Liriano

Boof Bonser

Minnesota Twins give:

AJ Pierzynski

They traded a top notch pitcher in Liriano and one of the best closers in the AL in Nathan. This was a horribly one sided deal in the end.

• 1 decade ago

The Twins realeasing David Ortiz in 2002 also the Angels Sign Gary Matthews Jr. for alot of money only because he had ONE good season with Texas.

• 1 decade ago

Jered Camp for Johan Santana has to be up there.

Another one I heard before but don't know if it's true is that Cy Young was traded for a suit. ( I don't believe this one)

Joe Jackson was traded to the Cleveland Naps for Brist Lord.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.