.
. asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Do you like your Cheese with crystals in it?

Crystals in Cheese

"What is it and why does it happen? Some hard cheeses like vintage cheddar can develop Calcium Lactate crystals. Naturally occurring calcium and lactose is found in cows’ milk and therefore, cheese made from cows’ milk will contain these components too. During the aging process hard cheeses lose water and this is when the crystals form. There is no health risk associated with these crystals as they are part of the natural make up of the cheese. The cheese is therefore perfectly safe to eat."

• Dirk H
    Best Answer

I love it! Cheese with these crystals are aged wonderfully. I live in a dry climate and these crystals can form easily in aged cheese. I think they are wonderful but I really like sharp cheddar and other cheeses. Parmesan is yummy too and my favorite part is the dry rind.

I have cheese which has been quick aged and the flavor is more like a 6 mo. cheese than a 3 mo. aged cheese. I learned about this aging technique during a cheese making class. The cheeses are sealed from the environment and don't dry out like the cheese I make at home. These cheeses also don't necessarily have crystals.

If you have the chance to take a cheese class I recommend it. During our cheese class we were able to taste a lot of different types. I like almost all cheeses, with the exception of the mold cheeses. Now that I think of it, my honey loves blue cheese but doesn't care for the crystals on the cheddar. Maybe it is a palate difference, mold or crystals!

You are absolutely correct. The crystals are calcium lactate. And it usually indicates a well aged cheese. I have seen it in aged cheddar but not the usual kind found in a grocery store. Their suppliers are in too much of a hurry with the aging process.

Sometimes small cheese shops (try Wisconsin) will have such cheese and it's usually very sharp without being bitter. The bitterness comes from rapid aging using the addition of enzymes (to degrade the protein) to speed up the process.

Congratulations. Not many people would even know enough to ask such a question.

PhD Food Chemistry and Nutrition

• Lisa

Probably salt leaching out as the cheese gets cold having had a time in room temperature.

Cheese with crystals? I have never seen real cheese with crystals but I have seen imitation cheese with some. I like my cheese real.

• sophia

No its horible, i bought some Red extra mature chedder recently, (as it was cheap) and it tastes like there's some bits init... maybe crystals, as you call it.

I like mature chedder cheese, but also like it to have a soft creamy taste.

umm... I like cheese but not by itself and definetly not with crystals.

To me it sounds like a turnoff, although I never ran into it.Food for thought

• sky

Thank you for asking this question, I learned something new.