Should learning Spanish now be a requirement for graduating high school?

I think kids should have to take basic Spanish.

Even the bonehead GWB is fluent in Spanish.

Call the program, "No Gringo Left Behind"

Best Answer

No.

We are lucky, English is the universal business and government language. We are very lucky in that regard.

I do think it should be a requirement that everyone spend a year outside of this country, so we grow the fuggg up and learn how the world really works.

Signed, an ex pat from the USA teaching English in China.

I do not know Chinese. Figure that one out.

===============

Life is so simple, but we insist on making it complicated

Confucius

551 - 479 BC

===============

Peace

Jim

http://www.ChinaBlix.com

.

Why Spanish?

My high school required a foreign language, but we where able to choose between Spanish, French, and German.

Learning a different language can be helpful to a person but I don't want someone telling which language I have to learn(other than English).

I love how an expat (which is easily defined as someone who turned their back on this nation but still expect to be recognized by it) even agrees that this is a silly question. English is the Lingua Franca of aviation, business, statecraft, trade, essentially the world.

Now I believe Castillian should be offered in schools along with Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Italian and French but not the gutter language of Mexico and Central America. The only people who think those are actually languages are the peasant nations that speak them. True Spaniards will hardly discuss the peasants they left behind in those areas.

No it is not. There is a requrement of at least 2 years of any language in Minnesota, yet there is a requirement for languages in every highschool, it varies from state to state. And to the person above, wow! 3 years of Russian? :) That would be cool! ~ Joey P.S. No caps is better.

• xg6

All highschoolers should learn a foreign language, but it shouldn't be mandated to be Spanish. We still have freedom of choice in this country and that should extend to what language you want to learn

Actually, if you speak Cantonese, Arabic, Mandarin, Russian, etc. you're in far better shape for getting a job these days. It's much more impressive on a resume. Much more in demand as international businesses grow.

Only in Spain and most of Central and South America. Portuguese is the language of Brazil.

Only if you live in a Spanish speaking country.

Why Spanish? The affairs of the world are conducted in English but there are other very important languages.

Farsi, Pashtun, Chinese, Both (Mandarin and Cantonese)

French, Russian, Arabic are all important.

Spanish is used by few other than illegal immigrants so let them learn English.

Hell no, my teacher told me i needed an 18 week course in a foreign language before I graduate. I simply told him, I live in the USA and we speak english so good luck getting me to take a foreign langauge. Needless to say, I got stuck in computer creations and they considered it a foreign langauge :)

I'm not learning another language to speak to some idiots who cant even learn the language of the country.

Can I go to Mexico and tell them they all need to start learning English? They would look at me and go whitey please and start laughing.