bhop89 asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

Free Credit Report Not Free-Stay away and check credit cards!!!?

Just found out my Discover card has been charged 25 a month for FOUR years because I used Free Credit Report.com. Seems I was automatically enrolled through CIC. I knew about a 10 dollar a month charge on my account however I was oblivious to the two times a month this company was charging me. BE CAREFUL IF YOU ARE USING THESE SERVICES!

Update:

Good Question Bud. Here's the brief explanation- I was making automatic payments to my Discover card and haven't used it in awhile. I understand why it's perceived as my fault which is why I'm not asking them for anything except to cancel. I'll chalk it up to being dumb and too trusting. I wanted this to be out there just in case someone didn't know.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

file a claim/dispute with Discover or close the account.

• Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

As you point out, you need to establish credit, particularly if you ever want to purchase a house or get a car loan. Since you've seen how credit can be misused, you're likely to handle a credit card well. A credit card can be very handy if you want to make a large purchase--say a refrigerator--and want to pay it off over several months, or if you don't have cash with you when you need to buy something. To avoid tempting yourself, get a credit card with a small dollar limit, say $500, with no option for going over that limit or for taking a cash loan on your card. Since you're only 21, about $500 is likely about all that a bank will allow you anyway. Everytime you use the card, note down the amount you've spent, and keep a record. Always have a plan for paying off the card, and try to pay it off in full most months, avoiding any interest charges.

• 1 decade ago

Here's a very good lesson for you. It is much more important to monitor your existing credit card accounts than to check your credit report frequently. Your first defense to preventing fraud and ID theft is to carefully go over your monthly credit card statements. You would have noticed those extra charges years ago.

• 1 decade ago

Wow, bummer. It seems since it was mandated that we all have free access to our credit reports at some frequency, there is always someone out there trying to make a buck off of it.

Below is the link to the "Safe" free annual credit report the big 3 are required to provide.

Be safe!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

This is just ONE of the reasons why I tell people not to have credit cards. If this had come out of your checking account, you would have seen it when you balanced your check register the very first month.

Oy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they ask you to unregister after the free credit report period is over.., so u must unsubsrcibe from them before the free report period ends..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's your own fault. They said just what they will charge you if you don't unregister in the allotted time. It's in the disclaimers.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

How could you possibly not know that for four years??

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

is free except you cant get your score.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.