Why do some people frown on a birth mother still consitering herself the child's mother?

I don't understand this. My daughter, Veronica, I had to give up for adoption since I was about to be homeless when she was born and I wasn't about to bring a child into the streets, it's an open adoption. But people degrade me for still considering her my daughter saying that I'm no longer... show more I don't understand this.

My daughter, Veronica, I had to give up for adoption since I was about to be homeless when she was born and I wasn't about to bring a child into the streets, it's an open adoption.

But people degrade me for still considering her my daughter saying that I'm no longer her mother because I gave her up (I just wanted the best for her).

No matter what papers say, nothing will ever change the fact that she IS my daughter and she will always be my daughter and I will always love her, no amount of paperwork can ever change that, and the situation I was in at the time, giving her up was the only option I had otherwise she would have been on the streets with me and that is no way to raise a child.

So, I just don't understand why, adoptive parents and natural parents alike, say I'm not a mother because of this, does anyone know why they say this?

(This happens in real life, it's not a Y!Answers originated issue)
Update: Bree Z: This happened 2 years ago, a lot of things can happen in 2 years. You aren't homeless forever just because you have been on the streets in the past you know...
Update 2: faeyth: Then, buy your definition, I would have no mother, she was never there financially, emotionally or in any other way for me, and my father was only there financially, so, by your standard, I would only have half a parent.
Update 3: faeyth: My first calls me Mimi, which is a term sometimes used for Mom while calling her adoptive mother Momma.