Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetOther - Internet · 1 decade ago

Just Got Scammed on Ebay......?

This User (probably a stollen account) contacted me and said they wanted to buy one of my items but to ship it overseas.

So they came up with a good and genuine looking paypal message saying they have the money and they will give me it when i have the tracking number (and send it to them).

So i send the item and then reply to the message with it, no answer, called Paypal and they tell me i have been scammed!!

So i want to warn as many people as possible.

-Do not make deals of Ebay on the web

-Do not send to Nigeria on ebay

-Paypal don't ask for Tracking numbers, so if someone possing as paypal do, its a scam

-If you think it is fishy (and i had a little idea it was) contact paypal and ask them.

Hope you don'y get scammed

Favorite Answer

thanks for letting everyone know thet spoil it for everybody else don't they. i got scammed once but only for 2 quid so weren't fussed infact i thought it pretty funny!! i bidded on 50 lights for 2 pound and when i recieved them guess what it was? a match box with 50 matches in it!! thing is he hadn't lied he said 50 lighters and each match is a light!!

I was scammed last year on Ebay...was supposed to be ordering ID eyeshadow. What happened was someone saw my bid, copied the Ebay logo and seller's name sending me an email I had won the bid and listing payment instructions. Well, I never got the eyeshadow, never got my money back, and Ebay said there was nothing they could do. I lost $85 on that deal and have never used Ebay since. I did file a complaint with the FBI, but haven't heard anything in all this time....I hope this son of a gun was caught and put in prison!

One of the first rules of using ebay is that you do not sell to anyone who says they are from Nigeria. This scam has been going on since ebay first started. If you look through some of the items for sale you will see a lot of sellers specifically say in their item description that they will not sell to anyone in Nigeria. Sorry that you got burned but you will know what to look out for in the future.

Thank you for the info. That is terrible though. I got a scam message from 'paypal' about a month ago. it said that 'paypal' thought that my account had been stolen because there were transactions being made from another country on my account. it told me to click on a link in the email, and confirm my information. i researched it first, because it just didn't look right. it was a scam. i think it is terrible that people out there actually do that kind of stuff...

Is common, that's why don't click any ebay links in email; always goes to directly to ebay site. I wonder why ebay/paypal does little to fight those scammer. Afterall ebay does have 10,000+ workers. Kinda suprise little has been change since I used ebay nearly 10 years ago.

If you looking for the same item that can be found in amazon, brought from amazon istead, their third seller party is much better due to fact. they had be in U.S. and amazon offer great customer service compare to paypal/ebay. They will fight for you to get refund unlike paypal had to wait almost a month just to start complain.

Source(s): Ebay/Amazon seller for 10 years.

You got scammed OUTSIDE of ebay. Ebay can only protect you with transactions ON THEIR SITE. If someone messages you through pay pal then it is almost always a scam. Ebay warns you about this.. too bad you were too dumb to listen. Sorry that you were scammed. Hopefully you have learned your lesson.

It's more common than common, your a goon if you fall for it! You should never use emails to respond to potential buyer qeuries, you use the "my messages" section in My eBay. If you use that, you won't have any problems. Also, you should never put your email adress on auctions or any other thing to do with eBay as this is how these people contact you. The "contact the seller" button works perfectly fine.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

And flake, your the t-wat

No offence, but who on earth would post something without getting the money first?!?!

I've been on ebay for years, buying & selling, & never once have I heard of posting something before it's paid for.

I'm sorry but that was a really stupid thing to do!!!

A little common sense can go a long way lol.

My bf bought a car off of this car dealer's website late last spring and it was a scam. He got ripped of $4,000 bucks. Literally. Police and such were contacted but they can't track the person down.

That is why ebay has rules against selling outside their system (so you could save on the sale charges) and also why you never ship anything without getting paid first.