Salish
Salish asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Is it possible for a Republican to be a liberal?

I believe the term "liberal" means to be a free thinker. Is not America founded on the basis of Liberty? Isn't it the word most commonly found in patriotic songs of America? I have noticed many of the conservitive Republicans on here use the term "liberal" with a negative undertone. I myself have been reffered to as a liberal many times. What most do not realise though, is that I agree with many republican ideals, I just like to keep my mind open and free, and will call our Government out on its evil maneuvers when I see it. If this makes me a Liberal, then thank you.

Favorite Answer

The word liberal typically refers to someone who believes that government should play a larger role in our daily lives. It is certainly possible to be, say, liberal on social issues like health care, yet conservative on foreign policy. Keep an open mind and don't let people label you or push you into a box.

Yes, some Republicans are liberals, moderates and conservatives. Three groups. For example with the running candidates for President, Alan Keyes is a moderate Republican. Ron Paul is a liberal Republican.

John MC Cain is actually as a moderate Republican, but often been criticized by the conservatives as John MC Cain try to be a both Moderate and Conservative one.

1. Yes it is possible, just look at... well most of the Republicans in office.

2. Liberal in the classical sense was meant to support liberty and free thinking. However the definition changed as Marxists, Progressives, and Populists, took up the Liberal banner.

Classical Liberals then became the Traditional Conservatives who wished to conserve the Classically Liberal concept of the foundings and the constitution.

Then the NeoCons slipped into the Republican ranks with the likes of statists and theocons. This happened in the same way the progressive socialists and populists took control of the Democrats and took it away from the foundings of Washington, Jefferson, and Jackson.

Now the true Classcal Liberals and Traditional Constitutionalist Conservatives are referred to as Civil Libertarians.

If you truly believe in freedom from government control and evil manuvers, the Libertarian ideology is the surviving belief of the founders, the constitution, and the last vestige of hope for the American people.

Julie G: I hope you mean Ron Paul is Liberal in the Classical sense, because he is certainly not in the modern sense. In fact, in the traditional constitutional sense he is the most conservative on the entire ticket.

Source(s): Nostra Insurrectum Illa Eternus!
  • milson

No. you'll be US working type or undesirable type to be a liberal, and you'll be US richclass to be a Republican. this might clarify: The liberal attitude is that freest ideology -- and which counter-opposes the controlling and enslaving, constrained and finite, bordered and boxed set of perspectives mutually categorized because of the fact the "conservative doctrine." To exemplify, evaluate hypothetically that the U. S. conservative doctrine properties 10 ideals (of direction, uncompromisingly). Then, the span of liberal ideals is each and every thing else (to illustrate, 1000 various or mixture-and-tournament ideals). hence, liberals sell and enable freedom in perception platforms, and hence liberals while grouped are no longer in any know a collection, and are not in any regard boxed right into a preconstructed set of constrained and finite ideals. hence, some singular liberal ideals are unique and individualistic as provided via any given personage or entity -- and to wit, there exists no prepackaged or packaged perception gadget which categorizes a liberal. fairly, and entrapped interior a dictated and held-restrained imaginative and prescient, it somewhat is straightforward for a (regularly provincial) conservative to pigeonhole any a sort of in some situations no longer-broadly-held ideals espoused via a given liberal. There are not any wealthy liberals according to se. US richclass is US richclass -- who call themselves each and every thing from liberal to conservative to entrepreneur to activity provider to socialist to capitalist to communist. on the top of the day - as purely unmasked - US richclass are purely thieving US richclass -- getting richer and richer than sh@t via abusing, oppressing, and enslaving US working and undesirable training ongoing. The “Democratic occasion” is an solely US richclass political occasion. The “Republican occasion” is an solely US richclass political occasion.

People forgot what the parties used to stand for.republicans are for less government interference and control,less taxes and spending.Democrats are for regulation and more taxes and spending.They are both right about issues at different times.Now in the 60's Boomers brought religious conservatives to Republicans and Liberal Rights to Democrats.They forgot what their parties were originally about.And forgot to do the other part of their parties platforms.Boomers still think it the 60's.and they are still voting that way even though we have basically compromised about most social issues.That why I am an Independent because I think both parties have good and bad ideas.I agree and disagree with both.

Sure it's possible if the person isn't locked into some party-line ideology as befits a slave.

Historically there have been many Republicans who voted "liberal" on certain issues.

Even Ronald Reagan.

Yes, when Reagan was elected, there were concerns that liberal republicans would back him. They were right and most liberals left the party.

Yes, it's another label, but it's old news.

And of course a Republican can be accused of being "liberal" (gasp!) by the "conservative" Republicans.

(I pride myself on being a "liberal" ie non-conservative Republican)

Heads up: the word "liberal" has at least 10 definitions, if you look it up in a good dictionary, so don't get lost in the semantics.

Source(s): Go McCain!

Yes. Most people in America actually are liberal. Not the distorted image of a liberal that you get from Hannity and Limbaugh.

You're right about the definition of "liberal" However, the word as applied to modern US political liberals has taken on a new meaning. Modern liberals seek more government control over our lives. They would disarm us all and have us be slaves to the welfare state.