Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 decade ago

what does roll or sickle mean???

I have been watching videos on youtube of people en pointe but i still cant figure out what roll or sickle mean.I used to do ballet in france and am used to french terms.

Favorite Answer

to sickle means you are pointing your foot in the wrong way, so it curves under and just doesnt look nice. ive included some pictures. Im not sure what the french equivalent would be, though.

in pointing your foot the right way and NOT sickling, your entire leg should look like one straight line.

hope that helped!

• tarr

Sickled Feet

Sickled Foot

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what does roll or sickle mean???

Source(s): roll sickle mean: https://biturl.im/3m7J4

Hi, I've been in the dance and fitness industry for 20+ years. First, neither of these conditions is desirable and both should be corrected through training. A rolled foot is one where the arch is not well supported and the foot & ankle press in toward the other leg creating weakness. Example - stand with toes pointing out and press knee forward. The sickle foot is opposite in that the outside of the foot sustains more pressure on the floor twisting the ankle also creating weakness. Example - stand with toes pointing in and press knee out to side. :)

Hey! I am a dancer as well and do ballet hip-hop and jazz. For jazz and ballet, i hear the term sickle a lot! to sickle i like to flex your foot while you're in posse. A tip to make sure that you do not sickle would be to point when you are in posse. Hope I helped!

It means that when your toe is pointed your foot rolls inward, big toe leading the way. The easiest way to feel what it means is to make a circle with your foot, like you're warming up your ankles. When your foot is pointed inward, towards your other foot, it's sickled (supinated). When it's pointed outward, away from your other foot, it's beveled (pronated).

when u roll or sickle it means that ur not keeping your ankles straight when u pointe your feet. or when your on demi pointe you should keep the preesure on the middle of the balls of your feet. but when ur sickling u tend to lean to the pinky toe and put the pressuer there.