Jen-Jen asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Need and easy, simple, healthy recipe for dinner....?

My sister has been in the hospital the last few days (and with no sign of being released). I'm caring for my niece and my two children--between getting my two, then running 15 miles each direction to get my niece I'm not home until well after 6, and exhausted from worrying about my sister. My niece is extremely picky (doesn't like tomato sauce on pasta, won't each cheese on a burger, doesn't like shrimp, most ways of chicken, etc). Last night we had hospital food and the night before was take out. I want something simple, a HEALTHY one pot meal so that we can all eat, and crash (well, I won't, haven't slept the last few days). Don't want take out, don't want Mc'Ds, HELP!

And I mean picky as in if there's grill marks on chicken it's 'burned' and she won't eat it. I'm thinking of getting a bag of teriyaki chicken from Trader Joe's and tossing some broccoli in it (and using their frozen brown rice), but tired and don't wnat to run to Trader Joe's!

LMAO she wouldn't last at my house either, but I'm so exhausted right now cereal is looking good for dinner!

Favorite Answer

DIY LETTUCE WRAPS (for Kids!)

If she is as picky as you say, this meal will let her choose what she has in her meal and keep her healthy and full.

Fry some chicken with nice seasoning and chop it into small bits.

Then cook up an assortment of veggies and do the same.

Lay each ingredient out on a separate plate.

Have some large lettuce leafs on the table.

The kids can put the veggies and chicken on the lettuce and make their own wraps..

Good luck!

what about soup and grilled cheese:

use whatever vegetables you have or the picky one will eat cook in bottom of pot to soften for few minutes add chicken broth and a small can of tomato sauce (if you like red based broth, I do) you can use what ever starch you want and cook that right in the same pot, (noodles, rice, barley potatoes just if your using rice or barley make sure to add extra broth, if you are using potatoes, cut them up small so they cook quick and put in in the beginning when you put in your veggies, noodles are the easiest) if you have any left over chicken or meat in your fridge cut that up and put in at the very end then do some grilled cheese sandwiches and all you have is one pan and one pot, quick and easy keep the leftovers right in the pot and refrigerate right in the pot this way when you want to reheat it all you have to do is put the pot on the stove.

hope your sister gets better

She needs to eat what she is being served. In this stressful time don't allow her to manipulate you especially since you are putting so much effort to feed her. Give it to her. If she complains then disagree and take it away. Tell her it will be waiting for her when she is hungry. Remind her that she isn't at home and your rules apply. She won't starve herself. She only needs to eat a serving about the size of her palm to meet her needs. If she chooses not to eat then she must still remain at table with the family until they are done.

Try boiling the chicken and seasoning the chicken afterward with a bit of salt.

You're a good sister to take on your niece. Hang in there.

• Kori

If you want to eat truly healthy, lose body fat consistently, normalize your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, prevent cancer, and even boost your brain health and energy levels, you may have heard all over the news that the Paleo Diet has been found to be one of the best methods of achieving all of these benefits compared to any other popular "fad" diets out there. Go here https://bitly.im/aMKf9

The truth is that the Paleo Diet will never be considered a fad because it's just simply the way that humans evolved to eat over approximately 2 million years. And eating in a similar fashion to our ancestors has been proven time and time again to offer amazing health benefits, including prevention of most diseases of civilization such as cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, and other chronic conditions that are mostly caused by poor diet and lifestyle. One of the biggest misunderstandings about the Paleo Diet is that it's a meat-eating diet, or a super low-carb diet. This is not true

make some chicken soup and sandwiches..all kids love chicken soup..

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped celery

4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth

1/2 pound chopped cooked chicken

1 1/2 cups egg noodles

1 cup sliced carrots

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion and celery in butter until just tender, 5 minutes. Pour in chicken and vegetable broths and stir in chicken, noodles, carrots, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes before serving.

• Boothe

easy simple healthy recipe dinner

simple and healthy

Cabbage Roll Casserole

2 lbs ground beef

1 cup chopped onion

1 - 28 ounce can tomato puree

1 lb chopped cabbage

1 cup uncooked rice

2 – 14 ounce cans beef broth

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large skillet, brown meat and onion, and drain off fat. Add tomato puree, cabbage, and rice. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 greased or sprayed baking dish. Pour beef broth over mixture, cover and bake for 1 hour.

Stir, replace cover, and bake for another 40 minutes.

• DJ

Why dont you try a nice big bowl of chicken noodle soup...

It will be different:

here hwo to do it...

1) Get rotesserie chiken form the store...will save you os much time!

2) 1 medium onion, 2 sticks of celery, 1 red bell pepper, some half and half, salt pepper , parsley and a some egg noodles

3) just fry the onion translucent in olive oil, add celery...stir for 3 mins...and add red bell pepper...stir for 2 mins,

4) Shred the rotesserie chicken and add to aboev mix...mix for 2 mins, add noodle, stir, add salt n pepper (you will need this less as the chicken willalready have salt n pepper in it), add water...and boild till noodles cook

5) Before serving just add half and half...as per your need...and chopped parsley before serving.

Hope your sis gets well soon...you are doing a great job by takign care of her kids!

Here are some dishes I found on AllRecipes.com for kids

Spinach Quiche

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-Quiche-with-K...

Sweet Grilled Corn

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Grilled-Corn/De...

Chicken Garlic Pizza

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Garlic-Pizza/...

Source(s): AllRecipes.com and me

4 god's sake. She is a kid. U don't expect all kids 2 be the same. give her things she likes 2 eat. Ask her, she'll tell u. U already have 2 musc 2 deal with so don't go bananas over her food. Once her mom is back then u can apply the rule of eatin wat is bein served.I hope ur sis recovers soon & take care of her own brat.

jeez - she would eat whatever i fixed or starve!

i can't stand when parents "allow" their children to be so picky - makes life way to difficult

good luck!!!