Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Is SL (sing language) the same in every country?

What about when people read lips? I've seen the deaf who seem to really emphasize their lip movements when speaking--is this the same in every country?

Is it really international? Can a deaf person from an Arabic speaking country communicate with another from Norway?

Favorite Answer

There are some "universal" commonalities in certain types of sign language, but each still have variations of the same things. This would be like when you are in the United States, we have different types of words for the same thing (i.e. cola, soda, soda pop, pop, fizz drink, etc.)

Where did sign language come from?

http://www.verticalproducts.com/signlanguage/Who-I...

you must go back to the year 1620 when the first book of sign language was published by Juan Pablo de Bonet to help the deaf community communicate

If you deeply analyze as to who invented the sign language, it is very difficult to pin point one particular person or group. The sign language actually evolved as a natural process due to the necessity to impart education and knowledge to the deaf communities all over the world. Every language and every region and country developed their own sign languages.

If you still go deeper in the analysis of who invented the sign language, we find that in the year 1755, the first school for the deaf was founded by Abbe Charles Michel de L'Epee of Paris. The method he used for imparting education was by using fingerspelling, hand shapes, gestures and facial expressions.

In the year 1788, another public school was founded in Germany by Samuel Heinicke. Here he taught the deaf speech reading and speech using more of mouthing.

The first school for the deaf in the United States was founded by Laurent Clerc and Thomas Hopikins Gallaudet in the year 1817. The liberal arts college in Washington Dc for the deaf which was one of its kind was founded in the year 1864.

Looking further into who invented the sign language, we find that the American sign language has its origin in Europe. The signing system formed by Abbe De L'Epee of France forms the basis of the American Sign Language.

Over a period of time, sign languages started having counterparts in the spoken languages of various regions and countries and various forms originated. Each linguistic population therefore came out with their own version of sign languages.

Sign languages therefore were influenced by the cultural and geographical forces of different parts of the world. One common sign language developed which is similar in certain respects called the International sign was developed to facilitate the deaf community from all over the world to participate and communicate effectively in international events like theDeaflympics, World federation of the Deaf, etc.

I believe every country has a different sign language- Britain has British sign language, so logically there must be one for most other sign languages- like Urdu signing, Chinese signing, so on and so forth... you would have thought that an Arabic deaf person could only communicate with a Norwegian deaf person if they knew the same sign language, or used a 'sign' interpreter- wow!

For lip reading, I always assumed that it was just a silent version of the original language, so if you knew how to read lips in French, for example, it probably wouldn't help you for any other languages- although, if your memory was good, you might be able to repeat what a foreign speaker was saying by copying the shape of their lips and speaking through it... I just don' t know...

Let's have a look at what the wiki has to say; "Wherever communities of deaf people exist, sign languages develop, in fact their complex spatial grammars are markedly different from spoken language. In many cases, various signed "modes" of spoken languages have been developed, such as Signed English and Warlpiri Sign Language. Hundreds of sign languages are in use around the world and are at the core of local Deaf cultures. Some sign languages have obtained some form of legal recognition, while others have no status at all."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_language

No. The language deaf people use in the U.S. is American Sign Language. The UK uses British Sign Language. So even countries with the same oral language don't necessarily have the same sign language.

There are hundreds of sign languages in the world, some which are official in their country, while other countries have no official sign language and may use someone else's.

However, there IS a sign language which is commonly used with international organizations and some international travelers, but it is more of a pidgin language (a mixture of many sign languages), and it has a limited vocabulary, and has only been around since the 1950s.

No.

A deaf person from an Arabic speaking country can communicate with another deaf person from Norway providing they BOTH use the same sign language (ex: ASL).

And a deaf Arabic person could read the lips of a hearing Norway person providing they both know the language that the hearing person was using.

Ex: If I was speaking french to you and you only understood chinese you would have no clue what I was saying. But if I was speaking french to you and you were deaf and grew up french environment (reading and writing and seeing people speak french) then you would understand what was being said.

All that being said, there are some signs that are fairly simular . From one language to another. If I was dropped off into a country and I couldn't speak the language I would be better off using sign language to make people understand me than attempting to use their language right away.

I know Sign Language fluently and I'm an interpreter and I can tell you that Sign Language is different in every country like British Sign Language is different from American Sign Language and in every country its different. Whoever told you that a deaf Arabic person can communicate with a deaf person from Norway gave you disimformation.

No, sign language isn't an identical in each and every usa. I studied ASL (American sign Language) for some months, then lived in Spain for a pair of years. I met a deaf couple, and talked to them via their daughter. The signs and warning signs have been extremely diverse than ASL.

If you want to know a very good vocal coach try to visit https://tr.im/hgOlm an online vocal coaching tutorial. Everything, ranging from breathing fundamentals, vocalizing exercises, techniques on singing high and low notes, how to not go off-key/out of tune/off-sync, musicianship and music theory, proper diction and articulation, and a lot more are covered, all in our native language. It can be quite technical in nature, but it really helps since it covers the musical aspect of singing deeply and not just concentrates on how to impress people with your vocal range, riffs and runs and other cliches that do not necessarily make one a complete vocalist.

No they have different sign language in every country

Source(s): I made a fool of myself when I talked to a deaf in US in British sign language(I had learnt British sign Language You see)