are these people criminals for praying?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080328/ap_on_re_us/da...

should they be charged with murder? manslaughter? child endangerment?

Bonus: what would you do when your 11 year old child went into a coma?

Favorite Answer

As a pre-med student who is familiar with Type 1 (Juvenile) diabetes, I am appalled.

Type 1 diabetes is the severe non-preventable kind that is rapidly fatal if not diagnosed and always requires insulin. It's onset is acute (fast).

There was absolutely NO reason for this girl to die in the manner she did.

Not in this day and age, where we have synthetic injectable insulin. That's why we have it...so kids with Type 1 diabetes NO LONGER have to die. Prior to 1926, that's exactly what happened in all cases.

First of all, someone who knows first aid (CPR) would be taught how to recognize and handle a diabetic emergency. The symptoms for Type 1 diabetes are obvious and well known.

Her blood would have been acidic and thick, leading to deep laboured breaths, chest pain, a racing and pounding heart, and an acid (acetone/nail polish smell) on her breath.

She would have been severely tired, dehydrated, drinking, urinating, and and vomiting all day and night long until she finally collapsed into a coma. It's a horrible way to go. She may have even suffered a stroke and swelling of the brain, as well as multiple organ failure.

The feeling of having a sky high blood glucose level, ketones, acidic blood, and severe dehydration would have made her final days very uncomfortable. And this could have been largely avoided and treated early...if her parents would have taken her to the doctor ASAP.

I find it hard to believe that these people were so ignorant. When someone is lapsing into a hyperglycemic diabetic coma/DKA (always fatal without insulin), it is *obvious* they are dying. To even a lay person. To not call a doctor is criminal negligence and child neglect/abuse.

I personally think they recognized the condition she had and simply did not want to deal with it. They figured it was best to let her die and use the "religion clause" to get out of it. If that's true, it makes them even more deranged.

I find it hard to believe anyone could be so stupid and/or brainwashed.

Are they criminals for praying? No. But I hope they are charged for not getting medical care for their dying daughter. These stories sicken and anger me. To make things worse, this has happened many times before. Do these people not ever learn?

Dawn: You're stupid. They essentially DID withhold life sustaining supplies. The child had undiagnosed Type 1 diabetes. Her pancreas was attacked by her immune system and stopped producing insulin. You need insulin to live. This child was not able to make any insulin any longer. Withholding medical care (i.e. insulin) is dooming her to die. All the water and food they gave her would have gone right through her without insulin...the body is starving. It is a known fact that Type 1 diabetes is ALWAYS FATAL without insulin. ALWAYS. How is withholding medical care not neglect if you think withholding food is? You make Christians look stupid. This is not "Bible times", this child did NOT have to suffer and die.

LARI: You do NOT have a right to impose beliefs on a child that may result in their death. Period. Babies get Type 1 diabetes. Do you mean to tell me that these infants are "unfaithful"? The more I hear the more I want to distance myself from my faith if this is how other "believers" think. Some of you really ARE ignorant when it comes to science and logic, shockingly so.

Look at all the thumbs down I got for a medically correct factual answer...

No one goes to jail for praying unless the are in front of an abortion clinic, or at least that's what I think.

If my 11 year old son/daughter was even slightly sick they'd be at an ER real fast.

As for misleading doctrine...check out how and why Jim Henson the Muppet guy died, what a waste.

Child Endangerment..these people are most likely under the spell of a cult..like Jim Jones group

• Marie

They are not criminals for praying, they are criminals for not taking their child to the doctor. God gave us doctors for a reason. Most Christians do everything they can to help their children............ including doctors and prayer. I don't understand how they could neglect taking her to a doctor after a month of being ill? Negligent homicide charge may be in order. Did they know their child was diabetic? It does not say. Still, they could have taken her as soon as they seen the symptoms. Excessive thirst is a dead giveaway to diabetes. My husband developed diabetes and I dragged him to the doctor. He did not want to go. Drinking 14 glasses of tea with your meal is NOT normal! People know what is normal and what is not. I do think these folks were negligent.

I do believe my God is a God who heals and restores. He often uses doctors to do this. When the doctors have done all they can, He steps in and shows what He can do! I have seen many people recover from what doctors say is hopeless.

I would take my child to the doctor pronto. She would have been treated for her diabetic condition. I would still pray for my child while I took her to a doctor! I raised three boys who all went to their pediatrician all the time growing up. They have grown into healthy, robust men! God gave us doctors for a reason. Good sense should prevail when raising children!

proverbs 17:22 " a merry heart does good like a medicine".

Through the old testament God is OK with circumscisions which is a medical procedure.

Genesis 50:2 has doctors reffered as joseph's servants

isaiah 38:21 God gives him a recipie for a poultice to heal a boil!

refusing medical assistance claiming it's god's will is IGNORANCE and should be constituted as second degree murder. how is being able to heal evil? the people who refuse it are the highest of hyocrites because what they really want is NOT to be healed but to have everyone pay them attention because a supernatural being intervened for them.

• Lari

Now I do not believe this way but I was raised with a Christian Science family. Part of this faith is that all forms of illness or injury occur because of imperfect faith and are ONLY truly curable through prayer. As much as I do not AGREE with this it is none the less their RIGHT through freedom of religion to not only believe this but to practice it. At what point do YOU want the government to limit YOUR faith? It is unbelievably regrettable that their daughter died of a treatable condition. But it DOES NOT change her family's right to seek the help THEY chose to seek for her. They did what THEY felt was right for their daughter. The article as it was written shows NO evidence that they intended ANY kind of harm to come to their child. Quite the opposite in fact. They are NOT criminals according to our laws.

Edit: I am a Christian just not a Christian Scientist. I believe that all thing happen in God's plan and for the good of those who love him. So this HAD a purpose and it is not for us to say what that purpose was.

Edit: As a parent I would hake my children to the doctor should something like this happened to them. I would ALSO pray. But sometimes doctors are not able to help or offer a treatment that you are not willing to accept. Then I would put my faith in God alone. God can do things that doctors will be forever incapable of.

Source(s): Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddie, The Bill of Rights and my own faith

If the article is accurate, it doesn't appear that they were trying to harm their daughter. This is a difficult matter though.

I believe in God's healing and I also believe that He gives us tools to take care of ourselves in this corrupt world. (However, we must be careful not to make our doctors gods.)

Neglect - only if they withheld food and water in this case.

Hmmm. Only God knows their hearts and if they truly believed then I believe that God will honor their faith no matter the outcome.

We truly do not have any idea of how the Lord will work some things out, except that it is ALWAYS for the good of those who love Him.

Biblical example:

King David fasted and prayed for his sick baby for seven days but the child still died. Yet, we all know how much God loved and honored King David.

2 Samuel 12:22 (King David)

He answered, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, 'Who knows! The Lord may be gracious to me and let the child live.' "

*****************

Edit: When you take your children to the doctor, who do you have faith in: the doctor or God?

I am not saying that I would not or do not seek medical help. However, you only know what someone wrote about this. You do not know all the details. My answer is based on the information given. I cannot judge these people based on gossip. Can you?

Praying's not the criminal offense. There are even 'ministers' in the hospital, I happen to know. However, neglect is.

My son has been in the hospital twice and a Dr almost rushed him to one another time. I can honestly say, I was scared sh*tless all three instances, but I never became insane and started believing in imaginary friends. I put my 'faith' in the medical knowledge obtained by the Dr's. I was in several years ago (b/c a nurse timed things wrong), I quit breathing for a few minutes so they tried to make my very atheistic ex talk to a minister. He wouldn't go into detail, but apparently, he wasn't very nice.

So, the whole theory of 'no atheists in foxholes' is quite untrue.

okay look, I definitely believe in the power of prayer. When it comes to sickness, I believe that prayer works during medication, and also if there is nothing left to do, ya know?

My sister is diabetic and although i have no doubt of Gods powers, I think it would be absolutely dumb to refuse any medicine at all. I mean, i personally feel that everyone has their own issue, mine was physical and sexual abuse, that i have learnt to deal with and help develop me as a strong individual. my sister having diabetes maybe is her struggle which will help make her strong. I pray that we find a cure one day, but we have medicine for a reason.

People are very strange, and I don't know how you could just let that happen to your child.

I think they should get some sort of punishment, personally.

I think they should be charged with child endangerment. they put their child in danger not goin gto the doctor for help. I would rush them to the hospital and get them special treatment... I would do anything to get my child out of the coma.

They aren't criminals for praying - they are in the wrong for not taking her to the doctor! God gave us a head for more than a hat rack!!!!!

As far as my own child......I don't think there would have been any coma to deal with, she would've been under a doctor's care for her diabetes.