Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

Are you going to turn off your lights for Earth Hour?

I turned mine off (I'm in northern Australia) and found I was the only one on my street who did. You still have time to plan it as yours doesn't start for another 9-10 hrs. Have a go! Will you turn them off?

In Australia, it's the 28th - tonight. At least it was, it's finished now.

Favorite Answer

I've been having earth day for many years now, Since I had a totally powered solar home and now that I'm on the grid again and every light is the little energy saving kind. Everyday is earth day.

• Moe

I already do, I rarely, have my lights on. I do not use any lights when watching TV. and only use them for a short period of time when I need to go into the kitchen at night. Utilities are getting far too expense, and I have cut way back. Only use the dishwasher when I have full loads, same with the clothes washer and dryer.

This is just about as meaningful as the suggestion that people stay away from the gas station one day to protest the high price of gas. It really doesnt make a difference in the long run. What does make an impact is to live differently every day. Turn off what you dont need, conserve resources as much as possible, be eco friendly in what you use and buy and recycle. I realize that the point is to make people more aware of what they need to do but it takes long term commitment to change a way of life. I guess something is better than nothing and its a small start in the right direction so I would encourage people to participate.

• Maris

Although I do feel like this is a PR stunt for the elect companies, I will turn my lights off - as I do every night for 7 or 8 hours at bedtime. Where I live rates have increased 22% and are set to go up another 2-3% soon - I feel like all this press is just a warm and fuzzy thing for them all to do so they're not see as the big bad corporate guys.

A whole lot of BS. Unfortunately, it serves no purpose and is just a " feel good about yourself" thing

Let's just all hug the earth a little bit. Everyone on the count of ten, drop to the ground and hug the dirt.

When companies stop sending out trash mail that wastes paper, I'll think about shutting my lights off.

Keeping my personal expenses down is enough to keep my lights off anyway.

It'sSaturday the 29 th in North America from 8-9 pm local time and yes I plan on turning off my lights and turning off my tv , radio etc. I may use my crank radio to listen to music or I just may go take a nap .Newspapers here are encouraging people to participate . You'll always have the nay sayers who say who cares and it won't work, but it's my choice and I plan to do it. Normally don't have lights on anyway if I don't need them to watch the TV or listen to music.

• DR V

In the US, it's Saturday at 8 PM local time.

As a family, we turn off the electricity for a day once a month. It all started a couple of years ago when there was a blackout that lasted a few days. We were resourceful, and relearned how to have fun in the dark ;)

Remember the days when President Carter asked us to turn down the thermostat, and limit our driving? Back then, we did it :)

I have not seen or heard of anything about Earth Hour in the U.S. media so far...

• Clare

I'm planning on it, but everything I've read and heard says that Earth Hour is 8PM local time but give different nights. A some say Saturday the 29th, and others say Monday the 31st. It's VERY confusing as to when it is supposed to be. Google 'earth hour' and you'll see what I mean. I've even seen one or two that say it's tonight, the 28th.

One thing they all seem in agreement on is it's to turn off not only our lights, but our nonessential appliances, like TV's and computers, too.

I tried to turn on as many lights as I could. On top of that, i did laundry, baked a roast, turned on my blender, & left my GFs vib*ator running on the table. Global warming is a hoax, stop with all this conserving bs & just live life...

No, I find that the light is a positve force and the dark is a negative force. I will accentuate the positive by leaving whatever lights on that I normally leave on.

I'll see about planting a tree for Earth Day to make up for it.