Help me understand what is proper written use of the apostrophe?

when using 's, s, and s'.

I was taught

My dog's....= my dog is

My dogs..... = more than one dog

My dogs'....= something belongs to my dog.

It seems that modern spell check doesn't see it that way and those I have asked do not recognize a 'possessive' (s'). Is it old school???

Favorite Answer

I just explained this to someone. Try searching before asking.

Use an apostrophe wherever a letter or letters are omitted from a word or words to make a contraction. Eg. I'm, don't.

Also use an apostrophe before an S when you are indicating something is possessed or owned by a noun. Eg. John's book, or the table's leg, or Wednesday's dinner.

If the noun already ends in S add an apostrophe after the S (but don't add a second S). Eg. Chris' book.

(This applies to plurals also, if pluralising a word adds an S then put the apostrophe for possession after the S. Eg. The Dogs' noses.)

DO NOT use an apostrophe to indicate possession by a pronoun. Eg. Its, hers, theirs.

(the most common mistake is when writing it's and its. SO be careful with that one. If it means it is, then it should have an apostrophe, otherwise it shouldn't)

Source(s): Your examples should be My dog is = my dog's My dogs are = My dogs are My dog's nose = if you have one dog My dogs' noses = if you more than one dog