How about Staying Away from Religion and Spirituality?

Is there really anything worthwhile that we learn when we ask questions or answer in R &S?

I mean, I'm a Christian and it seems I "feel" I need to defend my faith which for me is personal.

Pitting another group from others. And I don't like to be that kind of person I'm being forced to be by situations.

Do you feel that at times you're pushed to the extremes in R & S?

Like for example this troll asked : "Do Christians have little willies?" (Does he really want to know?)

Rather ask than worthwhile questions like: Why do Christians differ in worship and praise? (We can learn something about this.)

Esp. in comments that are downright insulting against your belief. Could "they" just disagree and be nice about it?

I'm not proud to say but sometimes some answerer get in my nerves, irregardless of how much I try to be patient and understanding. It's easier to hurt somebody when you can't see the effect on them.

* it's fun to insult and hurt people? Maybe until someone does it to you too. Then it's not fun anymore.

Even if you don't or you have a religion.

Just have a heart, it's not much but sometimes it can be enough.

nicewknd, same here. But can you say so for yourself? Like for example, I ask a fellow Christian about Bible verse: someone "WTF" as other would say, would just troll in and say hurtful comments. Is that warranted? Geez.

What can I say?

Maybe this would suffice:

Thank you very much.

Just a thought: I hope we can give more "best answers" than just one.

Favorite Answer

No I don't feel I am pushed to the extremes here. There have been times I have become passionate while responding to a question or answer . It sounds to me like your letting things get to you that ought not to. If some ask such a question like the one you described it should not take long for a mature woman such as your self to conclude a person says things like that because they are trying to 1. provoke Christians or 2. Just don't know any better.. either way it shouldn't bother you. My honest discernment when answering some of these questions is that some of these people honestly are looking for answers. I have found that this site can be used as a tool to witness every bit as much as witnessing to someone in person. I mean you have no Idea what impact the words your speaking to someone may be having... And how God may be using that... The more you have the mindset that nothing happens for no reason the more you will see God in things you don't think him to be in.... hope that answered you somewhat... God bless you !

Source(s): The Bible / 38 yrs. life experience
  • Rikki

You are right. There are a lot of people here who like to belittle others in order to feel superior. I just try to stay away from the more emotional questions. I have asked things that I think most people can relate to that aren't necessarily tied into one religion or belief system. If you can do that, you will find that people have some really interesting answers. For instance, I asked people what the word "grace" meant to them. Another time, I asked them when the last time they did somthing nice for someone was, and to explain what they did. As long as there are people who are really passionate about their religion, you will probably have some verbal sparring going on. Unfortunately, this forum seems to attract a some people who are not interested in having an honest, objective conversation about the topics presented. It is really too bad. I agree with some of the other answerers. Ignore them if you can. If they bug you too much, go to another section! There are all kinds of interesting people on here. I do like some of the questions and answers here, but I also find good responses about beliefs and values in the psychology, philosophy and polls and surveys section. Whatever you do, don't take the trolls seriously! Just to let you know - there ARE people on here who do enjoy seeing your questions and who try to answer thoughtfully. Don't let the ignorant ones get you down! :)

I share your frustration. I come here to discuss my faith seriously, but many atheists come here for fun and games to badger Christians. I saw one answerer say that Jesus thought he was just going to have some S&M fun with some soldier boys at his crucifixion. These persecutions are part of what we endure for Christ.

John 16:33, ". . . In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

Even though it might not seem worthwhile, you never know what impact Christians might have on them. I've heard of atheists who badger and insult Christians later turning around and accepting Christ.

They come here to insult, but it's also an oportunity, because many of those professing atheism are really gnostics.

Some of them really have some deep seated hatred and this is their avenue to vent their hatred. I agree that it would be good if they could just diagree in a nice way.

Something that gets me is when they pose serious theological questions, and you answer it how it's understood in the Bible, and they will pick some insulting answer that had nothing to do with the question and then add their disparaging comment.

• elvera

It is funny how the Great Spirit has Given Each of Us a MIND of our own. We are allowed to think, and to choose what we believe in, and how we choose to do so. We really don't need people trying to shove their beliefs on us. Since most people have been brain washed into thinking a certain way from the church. Try asking serious questions, and see where you get. You won't get answers, because they don't know the answers. You would not believe how many catholics, and preachers are really atheist. you should take the time to find out. They know the truth, but they will not tell you. Because if they did, they would loose the control they have over you.

I could really say the same thing about some Christians and the questions they ask and write about Atheist, Wicca and New Age Spiritualism. I just chalk it up to their lack of faith in what they believe. If you want to find Christians who don't have a clue what Christlike behavior this is the place to be. Just do what your Faith calls you to do and turn the other cheek.

• Loosid

I agree the bad ones are horrendous...the good ones are awesome too!

Even before I became a Christian, it wouldnt occur to me to call people names and make fun of them; I dont understand the pleasure in laughing at another group, regardless of how *weird* they may seem.

With that said though, remember they are fighting the Lord and not you! That helps me alot when I encounter a nasty one. Sometimes it is necessary for some to take a break or even leave. I feel you, sister :-)

If you can hang in there, Id love to see you continue on the board!

In short, I feel you.

In broader summary, not in every time and place are we popular. In every time and place, however, the wayward argument dignifies our believers'. Ours has gone out of and in fashion within minutes to decades countless times for over two thousand years. Popularity is a human trait that in my experience depends mostly upon who is listening and for what, the context, and the manner by which the facts are presented.

But Christ did not preach on popularity, he preached on the truth, and the best answer is often times concise. I will never recommend ignorance to the unsaved, but we needn't embarass ourselves by dignifying this bally hoo with not much more than a quotation or Christian axiom.

Furthermore your inference also hints that the real issues they have with us, or present to us, aren't so much about us, nor with our beliefs, but about their own. It all comes down to that mind in his or her space and time, and as always exercise faith, interest in, disagreement with (whether overt or subtle) and forgiveness to them.

Saving is a hard business. Excellent question. Stay scrupulous and self-respectful -- prioritize your responses to the most convincing lies and work your way down. That's not just Christianity, that's good project management :-)

Much love,

Robert

• .

I'm atheist and I frequently feel the same way. Sometimes this place makes me want to scream. The pointless bashing and close minded attitudes drive me nuts.

Sometimes it helps to take a little break and come back when it's not bothering you so badly.

• Jenny

I am totally with you! I have absolutely had it to be honest! I am so tired of being put down and may leave! Wonder what they would do if we all left, guess they'd have to pick on themselves or just troll the beauty section!!

I really wish that people would take this opportunity to learn and have fellowship. I have learned some on here, but most of the time yes, I fight for what I believe and read the most horrible insults ever. It makes me sad, but then I think its kinda good.

I am able to really pray more than ever! Just pray- and look at what Jesus said to us all- we will be persacuted because of him! Just make sure that we are all equiped, and nothing will faze us ! Good luck