Amanda L asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Can Tennessee Walking horses be good for a semi-beginner?

Before I get the horse, I'll take lessons, so that's what I meant by semi-beginner. It would be an older gelding, about 15-ish. This question is preferably for Tennessee Walking horse owners, but any knowledge of this particular horse would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answer

yes! an older walking horse makes a great first horse! i own two and teach beginner lessons (children and adults) on walking horses. get a gelding as mares of any breed are a little less even tempered and can be moody and inconsistant at times. young walkers tend to be high energy so get something at least 10... you're on the right track there. walkers are extremely smart and loyal to their person and will be your best friend for life once you gain their trust. in general walkers are not spooky.. they tend to think before they act and are really level headed. look for an ex show horse... one who's been there, done that. gaited horses are a lot easier to learn to ride and the ride is soooo much smoother than a trotting horse! also, walkers tend to be sensitive souls and don't appreciate being hit, kicked, or jerked around... a stern NO usually is enough to send any walker sulking away. walkers that are hit and bullied tend to get mean and vicious, or find ways to make humans leave them alone (bucking, rearing, not standing to mount, pinning ears, not being caught, etc...) this is a great breed for a beginner with basic horse sense, under the right circumstances! just avoid young horses trained to compete in performance events like padded classes because they're trained to go wide open ALL the time and are not beginner friendly!

• dineen

Horses For Beginners

TWH are a great choice becasue they are very calm and smooth. And there all normally over 15hh! but they only thing you have to watch is if you can tell the diffrence between a pace and a running walk. if they can pull of a smooth a pace and you are a semi- begginer you will probaly be liek oh well itsmooth it must be doing its gaits.

I would bring along someone who knows gaited horses when you go to look.

Also the MORE HEAD KNOD THE BETTER! gaited horses are breed to have head knod so a non-gaited person will not knwo what to do. i have added some TWH buying tips and video clips so you can see a good TWH gaits! googd luck.

Tennessee Walking Horse

Buying Tips

* Determine your purpose before you start looking. Do you want a horse suitable

for trail riding or showing, or both? Are you capable of starting a young

animal, or do you need an older animal established in its gait? Will you want

to raise foals later or is a gelding better suited for your purposes?

* Make sure of the gait. Whatever use you have in mind for your horse,

remember to look for the chief distinguishing characteristic of the Tennessee

Walker - its smooth, easy gait. The gait is natural so it should be present

from the time the weanling first begins moving. How well the gaits are performed

often depends on the horse's age and training.

* Are you buying potential or proven ability? Many buyers who are looking

for a potential show contender will purchase their TWH as a two year old.

Tennessee Walking Horses often begin their show career at this young age

and are started under saddle early to determine their potential. Top two year

olds frequently demand top dollar even though they are unproven in the

show arena.

* There are advantages to buying an aged horse. By five years, a horse will

have reached maturity in terms of temperament, gait, and size. It may have

proven its worth in one or more areas of expertise such as pleasure riding,

field trials, versatility events, ranch work, or in the show arena.

* As with any purchase, if you are unfamiliar with the product, you should

know the seller. And, if you don't know the breed or the seller, you would be

wise to seek the assistance of a knowledgeable professional to help you evaluate

the horse and its sale price as they relate to your intended usage.

* Many buyers consider a pre-purchase exam by an equine veterinarian to be

well worth the cost. Overall soundness is important and, if you will be using

your horse to produce foals, suitability for breeding should also be evaluated.

* Familiarize yourself with TWHBEA's rules and regulations. Make sure the

last recorded owner on the horse's registration certificate matches the seller

on the transfer form. Both the certificate and transfer form must be signed by

the last recorded owner and both must be submitted to TWHBEA for proper

recording of the transfer.

* Be aware of the strict bloodtyping requirements that are in effect. Be sure the

animal you are considering purchasing has met all TWHBEA requirements

with regard to bloodtyping!

http://www.twhbea.com/gaitsVideo.htm

edit- this document is very long and a PDF so i will jsut give you the link. but it is on good TWH conformation. http://www.twhbea.com/conformation.htm

Source(s): "Sore know more, Tennessee Walkers! go natural or go home!"

They can be excellant. It just depends on the horse. I have known some that were great. I have also known some that will wear your arms out trying to hold them back. So it just depends.

I enjoy gaited horses though the ground I cover is rough enough that I prefer the Fox Trotters to the TWH's. The fox trot is a more sure footed gait than the running walk of the walkers. But it is not quite as fast or quite as smooth(it is still a LOT smoother than a regular trot or even the western lope) which is why the newer fox trotters have a running walk bred into them.

I have seen as many whacked out quarters and paints as I have gaited horses so gaited or non gaited has nothing to do with it. My 6 year old little girl rides a young fox trotter mare that is not quite 4. Last fall we were offered $2000 for the mare and were informed she would go up to $5000 for her because of they way my little girl could ride her without fear of getting thrown or the horse taking off with her. In short the little mare behaved better than any of the quarter horses (around 100) on the ride. Nothing spooked the little mare or made her ignore Savannah. The ride was over 10 miles and the little mare was probably the best little mare on the ride.

The reason gaited horses are not ridden bridleless has nothing to do with their behavior it has to do with encouraging them to stay within a specified gait. On long rides any horse gets tired and will slightly shift gaited (to a horse they are like gears) so that it will use different muscles and not get as tired. However with gaited horses you need them NOT to do this and remain in a specific gait. Thus on long rides you need a bit with shanks. You do not have to ride them that way if you just want to putter around an arena like show horses do. However for a gaited horse that would not be considered really riding (LOL). Real riding is what the horse can show you on the trail (JK-well sort of kidding-LOL).

• Rena

I think if you can find any horse that is a safe confidence builder, breed will not be important. If you prefer gaited horses, than I don't see why not. Just remember that no matter what breed of horse you get, their training level and disposition are what is most important, and what you should be looking for. Make sure you find the right horse for you, and possibly take a more knowledgeable horse-person along with you when you go on your horse hunt. They will be more likely to spot a horse that was "claimed" to be a beginners horse, for what it really is. Good luck!

tennessee walkers are gaited so that would be something you would need to get use to. as far as if they are good for a semi beginner, it depends on the individual horse. The breed does play a part in attitude but not all horses are the same so again it would depend on the individual horse. Another thing, don't let the age fool you! I've seen really old horses act like they are 2! good luck!

Honestly my sister has a 5 year old that would be wonderful for a begginer or a semi-beginner. He is wonderful! When you go to purchase a horse get all the information you can about it. No matter what the breed is, alot of people can lie about what the horses temperment, vices (ect) are. Make sure you have someone who is experienced in horses looking at it and riding before you purchase. i wouldnt discourage any kind of breed for a beginner or semi-beginner!!

Id also like to say to the 1st person that anwered your question... thats great you train your horses that well but the chances of her buying your horse is slim to none so in terms of any horse she buys, its not the breed of horse its the training. I also have a Quarter Horse who i love to death but he is a little psycho at times. i dont mind this because i am very experienced and i like that kind of horse but this just goes to show, any kind of breeds can be great and no so great for beginners.

Sure, why not? Just be sure to take lessons from an instructor who knows gaited horses. There are some subtle differences that relate to the gait and training that are really handy to know...like riding with a looser leg than I was accustomed...because leg pressure means "go faster now."

I disagree.. i dont see a problem with getting a gaited horse as a first horse. Alot of girls have gaited horses for first horses. It all depends on the horse. and i have seen some great tennesse walkers..

you cant judge on the breed of the horse, it all counts on the individual horse. Infact learning the gaited gaits will be good.

Here are some articles and videos of tenesse walkers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jSY-y1EKnSA

Youtube thumbnail

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M14STLMV1q8

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.twhbea.com/

There pretty well mannerd. I own alot of them, and i suggest you get used to the different types of gaits they do like, flat walk, running walk, and rocking chair canter. Watch a few videos of them, they shake their heads alot, which is a good thing. Hope i helped, Brianna.

(p.s) dont listen to pleasure chic, gaited horses are really good, the horses she listed are really lazy and you often have to kick them to move.Hope you like TWH!

Source(s): I breed, train, and show Tennessee Walking Horses.