What is so bad about having down syndrome?

I think people are a lot colder than they want you to believe. Too many pregnancies prediagnosed with down syndrome are terminated! Doctors tell people that their kid will be like some animal and people believe them. I've met my share of people with down syndrome, and they all seem pretty human to me. On top of that, they were all decent folks, which is a lot more than I can say for the general population. And how does knowing that unborn children are purged because of down syndrome affect those who were born and have down syndrome?

Favorite Answer

WOW!! I'm so glad that there are other people who's lives have been touched as mine has. See when I was 28 I gave birth to twin girls and one of them was born with Mosaic down syndrome. Of course, I didn't know much about it til now....and yes I was shocked. They are 14 months old now, and such a blessing as well as my two boys. My daughter is about 4 months behind in her milestones, but she is always so happy! Out of all my kids she is the easiest to handle.

It's always nice to have other people, who see that they are more alike, then different from the rest of us.

Source(s): Mommy to 4 kids! 1 blessed with an extra chromosone!

I am due to have a baby in 9 weeks time and opted to have a screening test at 12 weeks pregnant to determine the risk of my baby having Downs Syndrome. (The test returned a result which indicated that my baby does not have a high risk of Downs Syndrome.) However if the result had indicated otherwise, I would not have terminated my pregnancy. My partner and I chose to have the screening done, so that if it was positive, we would have time to prepare for any special needs our child may have. People with Downs Syndrome are beautiful, kind and valuable members of society (more so than many others). I have worked with many children with Downs Syndrome and they are some of the most loving children I have ever met. Although I support people's rights to choose whether or not they have a baby with a condition such as this, I for one, would love my child and support them regardless.

In the past few months, I've keenly observed a handful of down syndrome individuals in my community. They were all completely dependent on others for their daily tasks, and their development was very, very far behind that of a typical child. Then, I spoke with a family member who works in special education, and she talked of one of her students, a 15-year-old, who was still in diapers and completely nonverbal. Certainly, having DS isn't "bad," and all such persons should be treated well; but the amount of care they need, both on a family and societal level, is simply astounding.

I personally would NEVER terminate a pregnancy if my doctor told me there was a rick of down's. I actually never even had the test for it seeing as it made no difference to me.

I guess the way I look at this to make myself feel better is either they can keep the baby or be crappy parents because they have to give a little more of themselves because or they can just abort.

Maybe it's not right?....but it's still a personal decision....right or not.

I think some people are just too selfish to take the time to finish out the pregnancy and give the baby up for adoption if they so badly don't want the child.

Who knows?

I understand what you're saying. I believe that down syndrome babies are angels in their own way. The handful that I've had the privelage of meeting in my life were some of the most sweetest, loving, most considerate people I have ever met. I think for some it might just be too overwhelming, and alot of it just comes from ignorance of the condition.

I don't get that either! All the people that I have met that have Down Syndrome are amazing human beings! So loving and happy!

I hear you on that one. I am 34 and they are screening me for all these things and keep telling me I can do amnio and etc.. and I was like why? I would not terminate my child if he has Downs... I have a cousin with it and he is the sweetest human being you could ever know. They are gentle souls. Yes they require a lot of care - depending on the severity of their disorder, but many are very highly functioning, hold jobs and do very well for themselves.

Perhaps Amnio just to know so you could prepare yourselves, but to terminate just because of Downs seems sad to me.

My partner and I agree if for some reason our child were to be born with Downs then so be it - He is still our little man and we'll love him with all our hearts regardless.

OH MY GOSH! THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU!

I think kids with down syndrome are adorable!

:]

nothing is BAD...it is just alot of work for the parents, and can alot of times be very stressfull

this doesnt justify it one bit but with any kind of disorder or disease its much harder to live a normal life and some people with down sydrome never fully take care of themselfs and kinda like autism the way the person is going to act is different for each person but i knew this guy that has down sydrome and he was in his 30's needing a babysitter 24/7.