Why is it that people call him, "Bush" instead of President Bush?

Serious and thoughtful answers would be appreciated. I just don't understand their logic on this one. When Carter was President, they still called him President Carter and not just, "Carter." Is it just showing my generations lack of respect for authority or is it just stupidity? Why do they not... show more Serious and thoughtful answers would be appreciated. I just don't understand their logic on this one. When Carter was President, they still called him President Carter and not just, "Carter." Is it just showing my generations lack of respect for authority or is it just stupidity? Why do they not show respect to their elders, yet they expect respect from others? It has just been bugging me, so I thought I'd ask to see what other's thought!
Update: Neenie- Yes, that is also disrespectful. Don't think I was asking this question only because I'm a Republican, because I wasn't. On Yahoo! Answers, I don't take it offensively, but I do try to point it out to them. Last time I checked, in school you could have hated a teacher, yet you still had to... show more Neenie- Yes, that is also disrespectful. Don't think I was asking this question only because I'm a Republican, because I wasn't. On Yahoo! Answers, I don't take it offensively, but I do try to point it out to them. Last time I checked, in school you could have hated a teacher, yet you still had to call them Mr. or Mrs. Shouldn't it be even more so with the President? I could not stand Bill Clinton and I still referred to him as President. It's sad that no one shows respect for anyone anymore.