Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

New York Times v. United States?

a.affirmed the no prior restraint doctrine.

b. violated the establishment clause.

c. overturned Oregon v. Smith.

d. affirmed Rosenberger v.University of Virginia

e. ruled that public officials must prove malice to prevail in a libel action

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Summary: In what became known as the "Pentagon Papers Case," the Nixon Administration attempted to prevent the New York Times and Washington Post from publishing materials belonging to a classified Defense Department study regarding the history of United States activities in Vietnam. The President argued that prior restraint was necessary to protect national security. This case was decided together with United States v. Washington Post Co.

Question: Did the Nixon administration's efforts to prevent the publication of what it termed "classified information" violate the First Amendment?

Decision: Yes. In its per curiam opinion the Court held that the government did not overcome the "heavy presumption against" prior restraint of the press in this case. Justices Black and Douglas argued that the vague word "security" should not be used "to abrogate the fundamental law embodied in the First Amendment." Justice Brennan reasoned that since publication would not cause an inevitable, direct, and immediate event imperiling the safety of American forces, prior restraint was unjustified.

Therefore, I believe the answer is A.

Hope this helps. :-)

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

issue is Adam B is sturdy. There are people at abode who're saying to themselves...."heck i could no longer call a suitable court docket determination case of the main marvelous of my head the two" so as that they think of she is advantageous. yet, they do no longer look to be working for vp. i want my President and vp to be smarter than me....and that i ought to call some off hand.... As for the media ignoring Obama and Biden gaffes....they do no longer look to be surpassed over however the media isn't throughout them interior an identical way with the aid of fact they do no longer look to be sheltered like Palin. Palin has given 3 interviews and Biden has given too many to count selection. Their interviews are a dime a dozen hers and few and much between and we've all day to tear each to shreds.

• (:P)
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There is no question here.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.