Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificTaiwan · 1 decade ago

Taiwan food?

what do people in Taiwan eat, i am doing a project on Taiwan and i would like to know please?

Favorite Answer

My experience with food in Taiwan is very different from David's (the guy who said he hates it).

There are some really good Taiwanese dishes that taste great. You have to just try the stuff, with the attitude that local people eat the stuff, and they don't die. Some of the local stuff is omelette (with oysters, cilantro, and hot sauce), fried eels, duck tongues and (believe it or not) fiddleheads. There are also a lot of really good Aboriginal dishes on the east coast, where we live. We enjoy wild boar, taro root, and local greens.

Taiwan's history is intermingled with that of China. Because people came to Taiwan from mainland China in 1949, when the KMT lost China to the communists, cuisine in Taiwan is a microcosm of Chinese food. Saying you don't like Chinese food is like saying you don't like European food.

If I had a choice between never having western food again in my life, and never having Chinese food, I would choose to do without western food.

Nobody makes better soup or better vegetables than Chinese people. On the other hand, nobody makes worse bread or worse cheese than Chinese people.

My Chinese friends tell me that "stinky tofu" is wonderful. I've tried it, but I can't get past the smell--it violates the Geneva Convention.

What Dan says... especially about the bread... no matter what bakery you go to the bread will normally have an odd sheen and taste a bit weird (they have to add extra preservatives as things go off quickly due to high humidity).

I think that most people given the chance would at the very least enjoy a lot Taiwan has to offer - the big difference is between the people who come not willing to integrate, learn the local language and really enjoy things - 'most' foreigners get past gawking at the stuff they don't like (for me it's smelly tofu - which I've tried, and Lu wei - brown internal organs...) and focus on the plethora of delicacies the nightmarkets have on offer.

In Taiwan you can eat - Taiwanese, Aboriginal, Japanese, Chinese - Beijing, Shanghai-nese, Cantonese, SiChuan, Vietnamese (pop at the mo), Thai, American, Italian, French and so on...

I am with Dan on this one.Stinky tofu is the only thing off the top of my head that I don't like. I am American I grew up eating lots of beef with a few vegetables. When I go to my wife's families house for dinner we will have about Four or Five different vegetables. Two kinds of seafood and maybe chicken or beef. They eat a little of everything so I think it's healthy.

Regards,

Source(s): Live there.

i'd been there for 9 mths. What i know:

breakfast: soya bean soup (sweet or savoury), with pan-fried egg roll or deep fried batter(a tasteless thing that dip into the soup - act like 'crouton'). Fried turnip cake (with/without egg). Burger. Dumpling.

Lunch and dinner: a wide veriety - noodle (all sorts), rice (all sorts), western fast food, japanese sushi, 'man-to'-tasteless bun, taiwanese bread, etc.

The specialty are: cold dishes that made from tufo, sea-weed, cabbage etc.

Specialty drinks are: red / green /black tea with all sorts of other ingredients such as : sago, herbs, milk, papaya, coconut, etc.

• Dave

THe food is so gross. I spent 6 months there and all I could stomach was some street food (eggs and bread) and McDonalds.

Their taste palate is very different from ours. Most of the food is bitter and it's hard to find anything sweet like in the US.

I saw a lot of chicken in soup....i mean WHOLE chicken. Whole fish as well. Some people chew on beetle nut juice as a natural stimulant. And they drink plenty of tea.

their staple food is rice. people eat sandwiches and burgers just the same but many of the food here can be quite greasy. check this website for some visual support:

http://lunchmaniac.blogspot.com/

They eat rice with 3 dishes and one soup

• you

i admire all of it. yet i think of that i admire jap the final. in case you haven't any longer considered the action picture "eat, Drink, guy, woman" you will desire to. The foodstuff is as a great number of a character with the aid of fact the folk and that i left it feeling hungry.