Why do people eliminate the "o" in god? (G-d)?

i know that christians don't want to "say the lords name in vain".... but if you are just asking a question, is it really that serious? not making fun or anything, i just don't get it.

Update:

thanks, i wasn't aware it was a jewish belief.

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

In Judaism, we do not write the name of God on a permanent medium such as paper casually, so that we do not risk dishonoring the name. Instead, we write "G-d"; it gets the message across, but prevents accidental disrespect of the name. It's not really applicable to electronic media, but many Jews do it out of habit.

I'm Jewish.

• 1 decade ago

Jews do that for fear of taking the Lord's name in vain. God is not his name though. In Hebrew, it is YHWH.

They also have to kiss the Bible if they knock it off a table and other things as it desecrates God's name.

They also cannot make household things like switches work on the Sabbath, but keep lights on or off, can't flush toilet. They tape them if they have kids so the kids don't forget.

My best friend dated both an Orthodox Jewish man and a Messianic Jew.

Debbie

• It is a Jewish belief.

cut&paste

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better. Observant Jews avoid writing a Name of God on web sites like this one because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it. To avoid writing the Name, Orthodox Jews (and sometimes other denominations) substitute letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God."

• 1 decade ago

It is so the name cannot be descecrated or destroyed or disrespected. They don't want to write the name out completely so that it cannot be altered in a bad way.

Quoted from wisegeek.com:

As a general rule of thumb, practicing Jews do not write the name God because of the laws delivered by Moses which are found in Deuteronomy 12:3-12:4. In this passage, the Jews are instructed to destroy anything and everything associated with their rival’s gods, and they are not to let this happen to their own God. Writing G-d instead of God is one way to prevent others from destroying the name of God.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I knew of the Jewish belief but God is a title as it is not His name.

• Caity
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

That's a Jewish belief

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That is not a Christian belief, it is a Jewish belief. They believe that you should not use the name of God for trivial purposes. It is a name to be revered and respected.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's incredible how many wrong answers can be given with such determination that they are correct.

Why do we write G-d?

It is written to refer to the G-d of Israel.

Although G-d is not a name but a designation, it is still referencing that G-d.

It comes to a matter of respect. If I can write it, it can be destroyed. There is no superstition involved, only respect. Even inadvertently, I choose not to risk desecrating that which refers to my G-d.

And to 'fireball' thanks, but we (Jews) do not need your permission to desecrate reference to our G-d. If you want to desecrate yours, fine. But don't speak for us.

• 1 decade ago

Basically, the Jews believe their god is easily fooled by the dash. They believe by substituting the dash, or whatever other character, in for the O that they will not be breaking the rules. Apparently they don't realize their god is supposed to be intelligent.

It makes me laugh how foolish people can be about their idea of the Abrahamic god.

• 1 decade ago

In some Jewish Orthodox circles, writing the "name of the creator" (and there are many names) is dangerous, because then you can never destroy whatever paper you wrote his name on.

I'm not sure that's the reason, but your question reminded me of that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.