Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christians...do you not believe in all the other Gods and Goddesses because of evidence..?

...against their existence?

Or lack of evidence for them?

Or just because of what your Bible says?

Please try and answer without putting the Bible in the equation. I'm interested to know how you think about this subject just regarding empirical evidence.

Do you understand how difficult it is to believe something when there is no evidence for it. Or harder still to believe in something when there is plenty of evidence against it?

spk. It's a polite question. Read it again with your hate-tinted shades removed...

Maybe I should have said 'Christians and Muslims' . Although often you get slammed for using 'Christians and Muslims' in the same sentence.

Aaaa, whatever.

Mark T, I mean the other Gods like Apollo

Bacchus

Bellona

Ceres

Cupid

Diana

Faunus

Flora

Janus

Juno

Jupiter

Lares

Libintia

Maia

Mars

Mercury

Minerva

Mithras

Neptune

Ops

Pales

Pluto

Pomona

Proserpine

Saturn

Venus

Vertumnus

Vesta

Vulcan

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/gods.htm

Favorite Answer

You wont get many answers to this, because you made a good point and they CAN'T answer it.

Try again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day. I love this question.

I don't believe in other gods as a matter of faith. Having any loyalties to any other gods or goddesses would be betraying my god. It's about fidelity. Christianity is like marriage for most of us. We don't "cheat on" God with any other gods because we can't say we love him if we are not faithful to him. My first and only loyalty is to the god of the Christian bible not because of evidence but because of what is required of me. I don't have anything against others, but Christianity is personal relationship.

Source(s): My faith

The reason I now don't believe in all other god or gods then the God Yahweh is because of the new scientific evidence found in the same scripture that makes up parts of The Bible, Torah and The Dead Sea Scrolls. The scientific knowledge contained in this scripture was not part of human knowledge at the time it was written. This proves to me that the God being quoted speaking this knowledge exists. No other religions can yet prove through science that their god or gods exist.

OK, i have read this 2ce and There is no evidence other than artifacts, and ancient rulers and ruins. There is no evidence of ANY other god that has been made up. Greek mythology is all you get. I get to know about Jesus and his teachings. About Gods way, not mine. This is the one TRUE thing in our life when nothing else is there. Do you actually think that the geek gods will come to your rescue. Think about that for a while, and I hope that I wasn't rude.

Source(s): Just an opinion

The thing that sets Christianity/Judaism apart from other religions is that it makes claims that are verifiable by doing "legal-historical" research. Most other religions (including Islam, who's prophet admitted in his own writings that he could not perform any miracles) either willingly call their stories fables (and are outlandish enough to where they wouldn't need to clarify anyway) or don't claim that they happened historically.

It's a hard pill to swallow but if you do your research, the Bible has made several very specific predictions that couldn't have been made without some sort of foreknowledge. The fact that these predictions are made throughout time by very different people can attest to God's existence as Jews and Christians know him.

There is yhwh, the god of the o.t. who told us he is not GOD in isaiah 45:7 when he claimed to be the creator of evil and darkness. All other gods are multiple personalities of yhwh except for THE REAL DEAL who sent Jesus and The Holy Spirit to show us the way.

Source(s): Sword of the Spirit

There cannot be empirical evidence of any god, or for that matter of anything supernatural. However, there is vast experiencial evidence of the true God, and non for other so-called "gods". Did followers of Zeus or Odin ever claim to have personally interacted with them? The mythological status of such "gods" is well established, while the direct experiential evidence for the true God is overwhelming. Those who do not accept the reality of God claim lack of personal experience, not that such lack of experience qualifies as evidence. Those who do experience God at work in their daily lives have all the evidence they need - though such evidence obviously is not transferrable to non-believers.

• S K

Excellent question. Evidence implies searching for the truth, and that's something they haven't done with other religions, nor with their own.

• Mark T

What evidence are you talking about. Other gods like trees, mountains, rivers, lakes, planets have done nothing for me or you or the next guy. Other than their God given responsibilities to bear shade, lumber, fruit, water, snow, or earthly balance. Only God of the Bible and Jesus Christ have it all covered. Put the bible aside if you like.

Who says I don't believe. Why else would God be called the Most High God.