Naming babies after States?

Do you like it when babies/children are named after states?

My sister and I are identical twins and our names are Georgia and Dakota. Our dad was born in Georgia and our mom was born in South Dakota. We really like our names, but know some people who don't. (We were born in Kentwood, Louisiana, and there was a brief moment when we were going to be called Louise and Anna...)

I'm just asking because a good friend of ours is expecting her first baby (unsure of the sex) and she's interested in state/place names for the baby.

I personally love Lunden for a boy and Cheyanne for a girl. What are your opinions on this? Do you have any favorites?

I spelled it Lunden instead of London because I think it's a more unique spelling, not to "look incredibly ignorant."

<_<

Best Answer

How about London, Zaire, Brittany, Siena,Clare, Kerry, Shannon, Sydney, Victoria,Sharon, Brittnee, Chelsea, Isla, Skye, Ireland, Montana, Regina, Cheyanne, or Paris for girls. For boys, there is Chad, Adrien, Darien, Rhodes, Lunden, Ty, Bourke, Aden, Jordan, Brooklyn, Austin, Devon, Kent, Trent, Gordon, or Arron. I love Cheyanne & Lunden. I also love your name.

Best of Luck!

-Lisa

I hate place names for children unless they are names independent of an atlas. I adore Georgia because it's an old-fashioned feminine version of George, not because it's a state. Same with Charlotte and Adelaide. I like the names because they're names, not because they're places. I don't like Dakota, London, or Cheyenne. I don't like Cheyenne, Wyoming, either, and few people who have actually been there like it either. The only thing I hate worse than place names are misspelled place names. I can't find Lunden or Cheyanne on a map. If you're going to use them, spell them right, or you'll look incredibly ignorant.

ETA: London was 638th in popularity for 2006 for boys, isn't that sufficiently unique? I'm sorry, but it's not a made up name, it's a world famous city. It looks really dumb when it's spelled wrong. If you say it's after Joan Lunden or something, it's different, but calling it a place name, then spelling it wrong doesn't seem like the brightest plan to me.

• -

I don't think it's bad, some of them are other there but some of them sound cool and like yours and your sister there's a sentiment behind it. I like the name London but I'd spell it the original way because Lunden reminds me of Lundgren (Hugo)... I've never been a fan of Cheyanne though, it reminds me of Cayenne pepper. I kinda like Milan, Asia and Devon (England) and my mother loves Georgia ...always says she shoulda named me that.

the problem with spelling names differently to the place is the child will constantly be saying - "its lunden. no not like the city, with a u instead of the o". this can be annoying.

Lunden and Cheyanne are beautiful names. Some other suggesstions are:

Dixie

Alexandria

Brooklyn

China

Paris

Milan

Austin

Georgia and Dakota are fine. As are names like Carolina and names that are quite commonly found. I don't like names like California or Kalifornya or Alabama though.

• It can be pretty so long as it's not a state that sounds weird, like Mississipp, Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Florida, California, Arizona...

I like

Isla Rodeia -eye-luh ro-day-uh- {after Rhode Island}

Madison {madison square garden}

Savannah {GA}

Raleigh

Austin {Texas..}

Iliana {Illinois}

Erie

Those are cute names, I think. I've always liked different names. What about : Austin, (Texas) , Madison (Alabama) Hayden (Arizona), Alexander (Arkansas), I could go on for days... lol. you can go to www.google.com and type in states and cities and it'll bring you up a list when you have a few hours to kill :)

I love"place" names A LOT too--my favorite is Denver for a boy.

Here are some others--

Paris

London

Montanna

Hadley

Ireland (really cute)

Britten (sp. differently I know)

Aspen

Savannah

Brooklyn

India (I don't really like this one myself)

I also like college names like..

Emmerson

Sienna

Pace

Boys:

London

Dallas

Israel

Austin

Girls:

London

Asia

Brooklyn

Dallas

India

Paris