Thanks for starring this MCRmy.
My family Mormon heritage is only 140 years old. I wasn't born into the covenant, my father was Catholic. However, my mother's side of the family includes some Mormon "elitist" blood which includes famous Pioneers, Utah politicians and General Authorities.
The term Mormon has been perfectly acceptable when referring to members. I wasn't aware of any Guidelines of LDS politically correct ways to use the term Mormon. So I looked it up and found this:
"Style Guide - The Name of the Church
The official name of the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This full name was given by revelation from God to Joseph Smith in 1838.—
While the term "Mormon Church" has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use.
When writing about the Church, please follow these guidelines:
* In the first reference, the full name of the Church is preferred: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
* Please avoid the use of “Mormon Church,” “LDS Church” or “the Church of the Latter-day Saints.”
* When a shortened reference is needed, the terms “the Church” or “the Church of Jesus Christ” are encouraged.
* When referring to Church members, the term “Latter-day Saints” is preferred, though “Mormons” is acceptable.
* "Mormon” is correctly used in proper names such as the Book of Mormon, Mormon Tabernacle Choir or Mormon Trail, or when used as an adjective in such expressions as “Mormon pioneers.”
* The term “Mormonism” is acceptable in describing the combination of doctrine, culture and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
* When referring to people or organizations that practice polygamy, the terms “Mormons,” “Mormon fundamentalist,” “Mormon dissidents,” etc. are incorrect. The Associated Press Stylebook notes: “The term Mormon is not properly applied to the other ... churches that resulted from the split after [Joseph] Smith’s death.”
To me, this borders on the hypocritical. We object when Mainstream Christians insist we are not Christian. Yet when it comes to apostate Mormons who use the nickname, we resort to the position that it is not properly applied to them. I find this hilarious.