Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: Which do you prefer?

Do you prefer being called Mormon or LDS or something else on here? Does that change in the real world? Do you understand that while it technically is just a nickname originally meant to be a name of scorn, and that even though prophets and apostles have asked that it not be used to identify us (used by members and... show more Do you prefer being called Mormon or LDS or something else on here? Does that change in the real world? Do you understand that while it technically is just a nickname originally meant to be a name of scorn, and that even though prophets and apostles have asked that it not be used to identify us (used by members and non-members) that it will still be used because it's just easier to say and write than "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" and that very few people would even know who the CoJCoLdS's were, if we were to use our actual acronym?

I ask all of this because I'm seeing quite a few answers that say something like "I don't know what you mean by 'mormonism', but if you mean The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, ..." when a question is asked using the word Mormon or Mormonism. I guess I just don't get it. Why be so obstinate?
Update: Karen, I couldn't agree more, thanks for the scripture too. I find myself saying I'm Mormon when I'm here, and LDS in real life. I can remember being one of the people who in real life would ask my non-member friends to refer to the church and it's members as LDS instead of Mormon a few years... show more Karen, I couldn't agree more, thanks for the scripture too.

I find myself saying I'm Mormon when I'm here, and LDS in real life. I can remember being one of the people who in real life would ask my non-member friends to refer to the church and it's members as LDS instead of Mormon a few years ago. This just confused them because then they wanted to call the Mormon Tabernacle Choir the LDS Tabernacle Choir :) I tried to explain that the name of the church wasn't Mormon, but the name of the Choir did contain the word Mormon in it. They just didn't get it, so to me when it comes to non-members it doesn't matter. When I'm around members, I try to say members or LDS, but sometimes after being on here for 8 or 9 hours I slip :)